Autumn term 2010 suggestions!

Looks like a very nice lineup though I do have a few suggestions if that’s ok?
-I’m not sure if Sex and the City 2 and Clash of the Titans are worth putting on as double showings. I’m not sure what the turn out for the first Sex and the City was for us so if it was massive, ignore my comment, but I’m a little sceptical in how popular the series is. I’ve also heard terrible things about Clash of the Titans.

In terms of classics, can I assume Once Upon a Time in the West didn’t get enough votes to earn its place on the schedule?

Other than that, I’m happy! The all-nighter lineup is excellent!

[quote=“fruibn”]
I’m not sure what the turn out for the first Sex and the City was for us [/quote]

The attendances were a little disappointing (64 and 75).

[quote=“Klan”]

[quote=“fruibn”]
I’m not sure what the turn out for the first Sex and the City was for us [/quote]

The attendances were a little disappointing (64 and 75).[/quote]

The Mac didn’t even have to look up those figures… 8)

I’m tempted to agree that Sex and the City 2 wouldn’t be the best double. Possible swap for How to Train Your Dragon or Cemetery Junction?

I’d be tempted to suggest the Last Airbender as a double if we haven’t got many other possible options. I really hope I wasn’t the only person who watched the original cartoon on Nickelodeon that it was based on- but if there are others that might mean we could get a good number turning up.

I think Sex and the City 2 is too close to Date Night to work as a double, and I think we’ve learnt our lesson putting a twilight film on a double. Maybe put memento on a double, it could do well if we pushed it.

Also, loving foreign Thursdays, we should market the ever living shit out of that. :slight_smile: (Like having an A4 or something purely about them)

That’s one nifty lookin’ schedule, Rye :smiley:

I have one itsy bitsy suggestion: The Thing might be better as a slightly earlier showing just because it’s a 70mm and it would be more likely that more proj would be able to make it if it wasn’t on at midnight… and since there need to be 70mm qualified peeps and 70mm trainees, earlier might be a little easier for people that don’t want to be converting the projectors back (which takes a little longer) then trying to get back home at 3am. (Though I do agree it would be awesome to show it at midnight - sorry to be all practical :roll: )

Also, I’d move ‘The White Ribbon’ and ‘The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo’ (or as a general rule anything longer than roughly 2 hours) to a night other than Thursday.

I’m loving that ET is on there :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

To show them on not Thursday, we’d have to break up the whole Foreign film Thursday thing. We could always have another proj just nip in to do the ads change. I’d rather not do either personally, but depending on how I find the other Haneke film I’ve got; I’ll do the ads change during The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Also, doing an ads change during White Ribbon would be good for a trainee to do an ads change without finishing really late. :slight_smile:

My thoughts would be to try to fit in the foillowing:

The Crazies, Inception (possibly as a double since it’s Leo in a Chris Nolan film :!: ), Rec 2, Black Death (don’t know if it will be good, but the cast is promising!) & Salt (also double material later in the term).

I’m also assuming that The Thing would be a 7.30pm? I’d be tempted to move Some Like it Hot away from reading week (straight swap with The Killer Inside Me?), and maybe swap it so that was have a midnighter in Week 2, since we’re cool like that :slight_smile:

Okay, I might take SATC2 off of the double and shuffle things so that How To Train Your Dragon gets one instead. Although I don’t understand what SATC2’s got to do with Date Night… :?
I think Clash of the Titans will hopefully hold up. Whilst I’ve heard terrible things, its box office still seemed to fair pretty well. Besides, I don’t really have any alternative double ideas to switch in for it… I don’t think Cemetery Junction would hold up as a double, frankly. And I’m not convinced The Last Airbender will be in that high demand, either…
I think that Twilight: Eclipse does warrant a double. Attendances for Twilight (the first time) and New Moon were higher than an average attendance.

Indeed, Once Upon a Time in the West didn’t prove all that popular, I’m afraid, and the schedule is already classics-heavy.

For those who didn’t spot it, there’s a few themes going on:

• Foreign Thursdays
  • Midnight Frights
  • Action Week (9)
  • Hollywood classics (though not the final name, these are Casablanca, Singin’ in the Rain and Some Like It Hot)
    As such, I reeeeeally don’t want to move Dragon Tattoo or White Ribbon for the sake of ads changes. I can appreciate that it’s a chore, but hadn’t realised before that it affects programming…?
    I was a bit wary about Hollywood classics running into reading week. I expect they can be shifted upwards to run consecutive Wednesdays weeks 3-5.

As for The Thing, I know that 70mm conversion is no small deal. However, I didn’t just throw this one in from left field. Midnight 70mms have taken place before, including for The Thing3 itself!
I knew this one would spark controversy… I would love to keep it as a midnight, but if everyone is dead set against it then I’ll try and fit it in on a Wednesday instead.
I’d like to be consistent with midnights-only on Saturdays, so does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative should it come to it?

Rob, I’m saving Inception and Salt for Spring (both on doubles).
Rec 2 is on there: Sat week 8 - never fear, I wouldn’t miss out on that for the world!
As for The Crazies, I’m really not convinced that people will be fussed about seeing it so far down the line. It was out in February, and I don’t remember there being too huge a response to it then, despite its large ad campaign.

Fair enough for Salt, though Inception’s out a month before Scott Pilgrim and will itself be fairly old come spring.

My Bad :frowning:

[quote=“Roberto”]

Fair enough for Salt, though Inception’s out a month before Scott Pilgrim and will itself be fairly old come spring.[/quote]

Interesting… they’ve shifted the release date from when I last looked - it WAS late August :?
In that case, I’ll swap in Inception where SATC2 was and leave How To Train Your Dragon as is.
Cheers for the heads-up :slight_smile:

Breaking years of cultvated forum silence for this …

I don’t think ads changes should affect programming. If people desperately want to get home, they have until 6pm on friday to do it, or in extreme cases, could do the ads change before their show (although it is naughty and I’m sure P&D wouldn’t approve)

Re: the thing @ midnight - I think it is a bit of a risk. A midmight start means a 2am finish at least, and if people are tired and want to go home, we run the risk of rushing the conversion and leaving the projectors in an unfit state for the next film. Add to that the recent problems we have had in getting 70mm projectionists at films recently, and we could end up with one or two poor people feeling obliged to stick around until four to get everything done.

I understand it sort of screws with the ‘theme’, but i’m sure people will forgive us!

R x

Looks good Owen. :slight_smile:

I’d definitely agree with Inception on a double. If you’re putting it in the Sex and the City 2 slot where will that go? (If anywhere).

I’d be tempted to swap How to Train Your Dragon with Clash of the Titans as I suspect the bad press/ word of mouth will have eroded attendances for it by Autumn (where as I’ve heard several people raving about How to Train Your Dragon).

[quote=“George”]Looks good Owen. :slight_smile:

I’d definitely agree with Inception on a double. If you’re putting it in the Sex and the City 2 slot where will that go? (If anywhere).

I’d be tempted to swap How to Train Your Dragon with Clash of the Titans as I suspect the bad press/ word of mouth will have eroded attendances for it by Autumn (where as I’ve heard several people raving about How to Train Your Dragon).[/quote]

I’m pretty much just quoting George’s whole statement here because it reflects my views perfectly. I think Clash of the Titans is worth leaving on and How to Train Your Dragon might be worthy of a double showing. Inception looks great so hopefully it can make its place as a double. I’d say Sex and the City 2 is only good for a one night show- as it only really attracts a certain kind of audience that won’t fill a room twice over!

The Disappearance of Alice Creed might be worth considering for the schedule. The reviews have been positive and I’ve seen quite a bit about it on the BBC (and the Director is a former Warwick student).

4.3.2.1 is Noel Clarke’s latest offering (Trailer here) and there’s also Nanny McPhee 2 top possibly throw into the mix :slight_smile:

I agree with Rachel though about the midnight 70mm - I’m just not sure it’ll work projectionist-wise… the previous midnight 70mms were in the days when we showed 70mm more frequently, so a lot more people knew what they were doing on that front.

Please, please no Nanny McPhee…

I think they’d both probably do OK on the schedule but if we miss them out I don’t think it would be the end of the world.

Apologies to peeps trying to view the Provisional Schedule - it is currently unavailable due to an IT issue. More details for Crew on the Home Page.

I’ve moved the Prov Schedule image to a location which isn’t having IT issues, so it is now available again!

Sorry!