Autumn Term 2012 Suggestions

It looks good. I really like Bad Santa as our Christmas film and the Ridley Scott and Batman themes. :slight_smile:

Iā€™d maybe think of moving the midnights around a bit though. I think Iron Sky really needs to be on the Saturday after one of our big Friday screenings. Without people seeing the trailer Iā€™m not sure attendance will be that high so the more people that get to see it (ie the busier the preceeding screenings) the better. I had thought saturday week 2 could be good (after Pulp Fiction) although I guess that would either put midnigths on consecutive weeks or screw with your themes. Maybe swap it with Cabin the Woods? (Unless you want the Joss Weadon pair at the end of week 1). Alternatively maybe Spiderman and Rock of Ages could swap (Iā€™d guess Spiderman would do better and Iā€™m not sure the Rock of Ages audience has much crossover with the Iron Sky audience).

What films are on the reserve list at the moment?

I find it hard to judge which will be the most popular, and whether any will be more popular than the planned doubles. Should we lose a double, I think a film like The Five-Year Engagement could be upgraded.

I like this swap. We can also put Iron Sky as the last trailer at The Dark Knight Rises screenings.

[size=]Schedule news[/size]

Unavailable
[list]
*]Blade Runner (UK rights are DVD only)
*]Reservoir Dogs (ā€œthis is no moreā€ according to our film agency)
[/list]

Available
[list]
*]Beauty and the Beast (digital)
*]Pulp Fiction
*]Alien
*]Batman Begins
*]The Dark Knight
*]10 Things I Hate About You
*]Jaws (digital)
[/list]

Proposed changes
[list]
*]Blade Runner ā†’ Alien
*]Alien ā†’ Silent House
*]Reservoir Dogs ā†’ The Bourne Legacy
*]The Bourne Legacy ā†’ The Usual Suspects (if available)
[/list]

What are your thoughts on Silent House? It has 45% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I think it would do quite well as a midnight screening.

Thatā€™s a real shame to lose those films. I think Silent house should be ok. I donā€™t think any other horror films look better so itā€™s probably best to go with that unless thereā€™s a classic we think would do well.

Cool. I saw the trailer in the cinema and wanted to watch it. :mrgreen:

I think this is a great schedule, James. A smashing start to your tenure as Films Officer!

Howdi all! I have to say itā€™s all looking rather good Mr Mac :slight_smile:

A few thoughts if I may?

[list]
*]Itā€™s a bit of a shame about Blade Runner (though admittedly Iā€™m not its biggest fan), perhaps an opportunity to swap in something like Gladiator instead? (Silent House looks better than the ratings itā€™s getting, but Alien would undoubtedly be stronger and that would retain a mini Ridley (see what I did there?!) season.)
*]I like the Batman trilogy too. Two questions though:
i) Is it wise to plan to quadruple show The Dark Knight Rises? I expect it to do well, but not necessarily four screenings well :expressionless:
ii) At 140 minutes, isnā€™t Batman Begins a little on the long side for a sponsored event?
*]I agree with Georgeā€™s comment re: Iron Sky following a big hitter. Perhaps (and I know this wouldnā€™t be the prettiest, but hey!) move the batman week back one, into week 5, thereby strengthening Iron Skyā€™s punch, and separating the two themed semi-weeks?
*]I actually think that The Usual Suspects is a better AllNighter film than Reservoir Dogs anyway, though the loss of ability to play the dogs is quite worrying :-/ And Iā€™m glad that weā€™re planning on a re-release of Jaws - that old print we ended the Spring 2008 AllNighter with was hideous!
*]From the cast, I think that Anna Karenina could do well, but Iā€™d almost be tempted to put The Sound of Music on as a double insteadā€¦ and I hate that film! :shock
[/list]

A few other films that could be worthy of shouts on the schedule:
[list]
*]Lawless - Several sources are saying that this is due a simultaneous UK/US release on 31st August. If we can confirm this, then surely this is up for a double screening, let alone a single? Itā€™s from the director of The Road, and the cast (Tom Hardy, Jessica Chastain, Guy Pearce, Shia LaBoeuf, Gary Oldman, Mia Wasikowska) is awesome!
*]I appreciate that itā€™ll be a bit old, but itā€™d be a bit of a travesty if we never show The Lady - and given that itā€™s a Luc Besson filmā€¦ :smiley:
*]King of Devilā€™s Island has 7.4 on IMDb and stars Stellan SkarsgĆ„rd!
*]Is Underworld: Awakening 3D only? More than worth a shout as a single if not?
*]Ted - Comedy from Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy), starring Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis.
*]Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - Steve Carell and Keira Knightley is worth keeping an eye on - no UK release date set yet, but out on 22nd June in the US.
*]Another one just to consider - the re-released five oscar winner, The Apartment.
*]Upcoming horror from the writer of Paranormal Activity, Chernobyl Diaries could play quite well, especially with the physics crowd?
*]I donā€™t like him personally, but Keith Lemon: The Film could do ok?
*]Your Sisterā€™s Sister with Emily Blunt.
*]One just for George?!
[/list]

And finally, if we wanted to plug cinema (and The Electric), then thereā€™s always The Last Projectionist?!

Sorry for so many thoughts/suggestions - I do think the proposed schedule looks very good - just sharing some more options pre-meeting though!

Thanks for your comments, Rob; they must have taken a while to compile.

Gladiator may well be in the spring term as part of a Best Picture theme.

Alien did 87 as a midnight screening in Autumn 2010; Silent House will do just as well, if not better, I think.

Given that the last two Christopher Nolan films have combined attendances of 1055 and 947, I think itā€™s worth scheduling four screenings.

I think the sponsored events are flexible enough to allow us to show a film 20 minutes longer than normal.

With the current draft schedule, Iron Sky will be in a premium slot as the last trailer at The Dark Knight Rises.

Since the reissue was five years ago, I think The Sound of Music is better as a single screening. And it is nearly three hours long.

It was on my list as a big film without a release date. If it has a 2012 UK release and we donā€™t show it in autumn, then it will be shown in spring.

Iā€™ll add it to the reserve list.

This is on my list of foreign films for the spring term because of its later release date than the scheduled foreign films.

It is 3D only.

You have used the word ā€œcomedyā€ very tenuously there. Since it has an August release, it may be shown in spring.

Like Gladiator, The Apartment may well be shown in spring as part of a Best Picture theme.

Yes, itā€™s my reserve midnight film.

Absolutely not.

Itā€™s on my reserve list.

I had noticed this film. We should organise a social to The Electric to see it.

I can see the risk. However, I think thereā€™s quite a big drop off in appeal at the tail end of the doubles going into the singles. While we canā€™t guarantee multiple sellouts with the Dark Knight Rises I donā€™t think there are any films that are worth upgrading in its place.

The only thing Iā€™ll say is that I think we need to really make sure that we donā€™t forget by next term to put on five trailers before the Dark Knight Rises (not just four long ones).

Iā€™ve heard a couple of good things about it but the IMDB rating isnā€™t so hot (nor are the number of votes :().

Iā€™ve been meaning to watch this for a while so personally Iā€™d be really pleased to see it on a schedule (Autumn or Spring). How well known is it though? (Not trying to imply anything by that question, I watch a lot of old films so sometimes donā€™t know what others have heard of)

Or notā€¦

[quote=ā€˜Georgeā€™ pid=ā€˜34973ā€™ dateline=ā€˜1336068621ā€™]

Itā€™s less well known than Some Like It Hot and Sunset Boulevard, but Iā€™m keen to programme it for spring as a Best Picture winner.
[hr]

Thank you; I just hope that all the films will be available.

Of 2011/12 films, we have (in no particular order):
[list]
*]A Fantastic Fear of Everything: it might appeal to Simon Pegg fans
*]Chernobyl Diaries
*]Your Sisterā€™s Sister
*]The Lady
*]Damsels in Distress: indie comedy
*]Ted: it might draw in the ā€˜Family Guyā€™ crowd
[/list]

Have I missed anything?

Apparently Neighberhood Watch has now been renamed as The Watch:

Should the Iron Sky stuff not sort itself out (although I think we should give it every chance as I still suspect this is a publicity stunt) are we going with Chernobyl Diaries instead?

Yes, and I agree with you about the publicity stunt possibility.

If itā€™s not a publicity stunt, I move to boycott all future Revolver Entertainment films!

:twisted:

[size=]Schedule news[/size]

Unavailable
Bad Santa (ā€œthis is no moreā€)
The Sound of Music (not in distribution in digital; the only print in distribution is a 1965 original ā€” no thanks!)

Available
Terminator 2 (70-mm)
The Usual Suspects
L.A. Confidential

Proposed changes
The Sound of Music ā†’ L.A. Confidential
Bad Santa ā†’ Arthur Christmas (7.1 on IMDb, 92% on Rotten Tomatoes)

The latest draft schedule:

http://www.filmsoc.warwick.ac.uk/include/image.php?rt=gallery&id=1964&maxwidth=800&maxheight=800

Legend
Blue ā‰” 2011 or 2012 film (with date if released this year)
Green ā‰” older film (availability confirmed)
R/I ā‰” reissue (with date if reissued this year)
s ā‰” subtitled

Looks good, my only comments are:
[list]
*]Iā€™m a little disappointed *Brave *doesnā€™t get itā€™s own non-*AllNighter *slot. Perhaps the Sunday double of Dark Knight Rises could be moved to Saturday instead (since thatā€™s when repeated screenings of sold-out films normally are) and then *Brave *can take the Sunday double slot instead? Unless you were planning on having it in Spring term as an individual screening.
*]I think the *AllNighter *itself could do with an extra more recent film, losing either *Jaws *or 10 Things (no idea what though)
*]Since The Avengers is possibly the most-hyped film on the schedule other than Dark Knight Rises, perhaps it would be better if it was not on the first Friday of Freshersā€™ Fortnight? Would be a shame if we lost potential audience members to the first Top Banana.
[/list]

Itā€™s in the spring programme.

Jaws is reissued nationwide in June, and so is effectively a more recent film.

The attendance at the late show might be affected, but there are two screenings and the film will be over five months old by Week 1.