Long dead franchises

[quote=“Roberto”]
Admittedly, you probably have to get cricket to want to see it, which does rule out the vast majority of filmsoc, but i’m still quite keen… anyone else think it’s worth a screening (albeit on a computer monitor!) sometime?[/quote]

I’m sure the Mac will want to see this. And as a result, everyone will…

[quote=“Mathendacil”]
I’m sure the Mac will want to see this. And as a result, everyone will…[/quote]

Damnit! You made that joke before I could. :x

And look at me quote, Pierre! :smiley:

Two more returning franchises. Another Robocop film is planned and there are discussions about a Lethal Waepon 5!

A Poltergeist remake is being made:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23107

Just in case you thought that it might be good, its being written by the people responsible for Boogeyman. Oh dear…

If it hasn’t already happened, I expect we’ll be hearing about a remake of a remake before long.

IMDB has an alleged list of them at Sort by Popularity - Most Popular Movies and TV Shows tagged with keyword "remake-of-remake" - IMDb

However, the latest King Kong was a remake of the original rather than the first remake, so I don’t think it counts. Wikipedia says the latest Love Affair was “a remake of the 1939 film Love Affair with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne and of the 1957 film An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr.” so maybe that qualifies?

That list is depressing: Piranha 3-D is on the way, and there will be another remake of The 39 Steps. Of course, Hitchcock remade his own film, The Man Who Knew Too Much, but why do directors attempt – always in vain – to emulate the great man through his films?

But surely, if they count The 39 Steps as a remake of a remake, then other book-into-film versions would fall into this category?

I have to agree about Hitchcock remakes and there’s more bad news on that front. According to the Empire article I posted above, the Boogeyman writers are also working on a remake of the Birds. :frowning:

Why on earth does the Birds need to be remade?

They should make good remakes of the star wars prequels in other words without anakin skywalker,natalie portman,euan mc gregor or jar jar binks ,in other words a good star film.

Alternatively I wouldnt mind a sequel to dogma, it probably would be any good but seeing as he has finished the clerks franchise, I would like him to try to pull it off…

It looks like they’ve heard you.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23180

I saw the same on the BBC but i don’t know whether i’d really be looking forward to this or not :? The second one wasn’t that great and the cast are pretty damned old now…

…Harrison Ford running around was one thing, but Bill Murray fighting ghosts?! Hrmm!

That said, there’s the potential with a project like this for truly awesome graphics and sound effects :slight_smile:

I think it should be cool provided they use the original cast. The cast are all getting quite old but there’s no reason it has to be that physical (at least compared to something like Indy 4).

Not long or dead but this could be amazing:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23595

Apparently Fox are planning an Alien remake/ origins film:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=24916

I suspect that its going to make Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection look like masterpieces. :frowning:

I wouldnt mind them resurrecting a decent sci fi fantasy franchise, I kind of hoped they would remake dune for a wider audience and a bigger budget ever since the david lynch version with sting.

They made a good version for television but it only appeared on the sci fi channel if they could do something like that with an all star cast would be awesome.

Yeah max - a new dune is in the making. although ‘all-star’ may be an overstatement - the bloke from twilight is in it…

So it looks to be exactly what the prequels were the to star wars trilogy?

Another franchise which i think they could do with reviving is Blade ,I heard there were some disappointing reviews about Blade Trinity.

They should make more Speed and Under Seige films… ah the brilliance of them :slight_smile: