Possible Singles (Autumn 09)

[quote=“Mathendacil”]I’ve just come across FAQ about Time Travel.
It would make a cracking single (and the trailer describes it as Dr Who meets Shaun of the Dead. A winning combination).
If not a single, can we make a social to go and see it? :D[/quote]

how about age of stupid

I’ve heard its reasonably good, and had an email from go green week facebook event asking everyone to vote for it on our voting page (so its getting extra advertising :P)…these films usually seem to do well

[quote=“Attila”]how about age of stupid

I’ve heard its reasonably good, and had an email from go green week facebook event asking everyone to vote for it on our voting page (so its getting extra advertising :P)…these films usually seem to do well[/quote]

It’s been out for a week or two and still only seems to only have 54 votes on imdb. :? That’s probably not a very good sign…

[quote=“Mathendacil”]

[quote=“George”]
As far as the suggestions page goes so few people vote on it that it’s often effected by people deliberately trying to inflate the vote for one of the films.[/quote]

This prompts two questions:
a) why bother then, if it’s not going to be dismissed as that? *
b) how can we increase participation into that? Out of interest, does anyone remember how many votes we got for Warwick’s Favourite Film?*
This type of discussion should be held on the Crew Discussion forum. In this thread, let’s stick to debating the merits of films that may be shown in the Autumn Term.
While it may not have received many votes on IMDb, The Age of Stupid has been widely reviewed in the press, and many more people (particularly students) may be aware of it by the start of the academic year.[/quote]

Oh, we shouldn’t even be debating anything yet.

I have split the thread (nice trick if you can do it!) moving those posts that were about merits of suggestions pages/methods, rather than films, into crew discussion under an appropriately titled thread.

Hope people don’t mind this, it’s just that this thread is for debating what’s shown, not how we pick them :!:

[quote=“Klan”]

Oh, we shouldn’t even be debating anything yet.[/quote]

And please, feel free to debate the singles now, since the vast majority of doubles seem fine - though still no real ideas as to what to allnighter with - though it’s not like it’s our most important night of the term or anything :?

another suggestion, again hopefully not repeated from elsewhere (checked more fastidiously this time :slight_smile: )

flash of genius: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1054588/ ?

also, seeing how much press tina fey has been getting with 30 rock, how about baby mama, which empire treated quite kindly recently:

oh, and these (nicked straight from imdb releases page):

adventurous - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091722/ - superbad’s director

gigantic - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1176251/ - zooey deschanel

the escapist - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0961728/ - joseph fiennes

I would suggest Trainspotting for the All-Nighter. Brilliant movie, and I notice that we haven’t shown it since Feb 2006.
And I’m also gonna campaign once more for Small Soldiers for the animation-type film we always seem to have.

I also think Transformers 2 would serve as a good headliner for the All-Nighter. OR Terminator Salvation. Either’s good :smiley:

[quote=“OPR”]I would suggest Trainspotting for the All-Nighter. Brilliant movie, and I notice that we haven’t shown it since Feb 2006.
[/quote]

Trainspotting was shown at the Autumn 2007 AllNighter.

[quote=“Klan”]
Trainspotting was shown at the Autumn 2007 AllNighter.[/quote]

Aww darn, I was hoping to see it :frowning:
Oh well, I could have done if only I had gone along! Only myself to blame…

However, this draws me to notice that no All-Nighter films’ showings come up on their respective pages under ‘Screenings of this film’ which makes tracking rather tricky and tedious :?

Tracking is a very simple procedure consisting of “asking the Mac”.
As per AllNighter films, I reckon Bambi could do nicely (as Rob mentions it being re-released…)
Coraline is a quite high-profile film as well… so it could be the main attraction for the AllNighter?

[quote=“Mathendacil”]
Coraline is a quite high-profile film as well… so it could be the main attraction for the AllNighter?[/quote]

I agree with Coraline as a good idea for AllNighter, but not as main feature (ie the one that gets re-shown).

Me again. Considering that it’s been getting quite a bit of press, and that someone was berating the lack of female-friendly films, how about ‘Coco avant Chanel’? Admittedly, nowhere says quite when it’s released but appears to be Autumn-ish. It has Audrey Tautou in it and like i say has been getting quite a lot of press.

[quote=“kathryn”]Me again. Considering that it’s been getting quite a bit of press, and that someone was berating the lack of female-friendly films, how about ‘Coco avant Chanel’? Admittedly, nowhere says quite when it’s released but appears to be Autumn-ish. It has Audrey Tautou in it and like i say has been getting quite a lot of press.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1035736/[/quote]

this here says july sometime as release date

http://www.optimumreleasing.com/theatricals.php

i’d quite like to see it, but it’s not an all-nighter material (are we still talking about all-nighters??) maybe a single (i don;t have a clue which thread i’m on!! :shock: ) oh, and it’s an optimum release…so i wouldn’t bank on it actually arriving :frowning: hehe

What about the Damned United (michael sheen does football)
and angels and demons (boo hiss). Sorry if duplication has occurred

In the Loop looked like it more or less sold out the Arts’ Centre. Might do quite well when we show. (It’s a good film too :smiley: )

Obviously this is too late for the ideal schedule, but as a possible reserve how about (500) Days of Summer?
Mainly to beef up the number of chick flicks; I’m not personally interested in it but sounds alright.
Although I am personally interested in Zooey Deschanel. Yes indeed.

There are normally a few films that we can’t get so I guess it could go into one of those slots (assuming there aren’t a load of other awesome films that we aren’t shown).

Ooh, and a couple others come to mind for reserves too:

• Year One actually looked alright from a trailer I saw earlier. Hardly fantastic and not something I’d die to defend but certainly passable.
  • And I Love You, Man which I’d sort-of suggested before is worth a look-in too. Again nothing spectacular, but good enough that I’d actually vouch for this one myself. It’s got Paul Rudd, what more d’ya want?! :slight_smile: