The Doctor Who thread

Heh I was just wondering what OTT meant. Now I got it, I can only agree with you…
Though to be fair, The Stolen Earth could have felt more crowded, so it was nicely done. And I still love the series 3 finale.

Sorry Pierre… OTT = over the top…

And congratulations on 300 posts :smiley:

I’d probably agree that Russel T Davies does tend to go a bit OTT and some of his episodes are just a bit too silly for me. Overall, I tend to find them quite variable (more so than with any other writter). I really liked Smith and Jones, Gridlock and Turn Left but then really disliked episodes like Partners in Crime and Love and Monsters (for being a bit too silly) and although I’ve enjoyed his series finales I don’t think they’re as good as his earlier ones as his efforts to out do himself every year don’t really work for me.

Congratulations for 300 posts Pierre and Congratulations for 600 Rob.

In a vague attempt to relate this thread to films; apparently Peter Jackson is a Doctor Who fan and Doctor Who/the writers strike means that Moffat is only writing one of the Tin Tin films instead of two. The BBC article is here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7517423.stm

Weird. According to this there will be five specials, not four.

Wikipedia has it that there are only four specials and gives the names of Gareth Roberts (which probably implies a history drama) and Phil Ford as RTD’s cowriters on two of the specials. Though that might be pure speculation…

Steven Moffat and Julie Gardner were at Comic Con. Amongst the interesting bits, around the 4 minute mark of part 2, is speculation about Neil Gaiman penning a Doctor Who episode.
Here is the youtube link:

Part Two (couldn’t find part One)

Steven Moffat has taken the interesting step of proposing that there will be more new monsters and less reminiscing done in future series of Doctor Who.

[size=7]Obviously he said, rather than wrote it, but i thought this was a nice way of showing it separately![/size]

All sounds pretty good to me, since many of the old characters, Daleks being the most obvious example, just don’t scare in the way that they were intended to at their conception some 40 years ago :!:

If anyone’s interested, you can now watch the last Christmas Special, Voyage of the Damned complete with Kylie and complete without Catherine Tate, on iplayer, until 8:14pm Monday 11th August…

…enjoy :!:

Quite fortunate I have it on DVD… iPlayer is not available from France…

[quote=“Roberto”]Steven Moffat has taken the interesting step of proposing that there will be more new monsters and less reminiscing done in future series of Doctor Who.

[size=7]Obviously he said, rather than wrote it, but i thought this was a nice way of showing it separately![/size]

All sounds pretty good to me, since many of the old characters, Daleks being the most obvious example, just don’t scare in the way that they were intended to at their conception some 40 years ago :!:[/quote]

I’m a bit undecided about how I feel about that. I like the classic series as well as the new so references and returning monsters are pretty cool. However, most characters / monsters that are worth bringing back have been done now (there are still a few good options but only a few). Also the new series does need more new monsters to avoid it seeming like just a tribute to the original. I’d be disapointed if all classic monsters and references are removed though.

This thread is in danger of becoming related to filmsoc! :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7579332.stm

It is already! Forgotten 1996?

I try to Pierre, i try to :-p

Don’t forget 1965:

The 1996 film was straight to TV so I don’t think that really counts to be honest.

I think the two 60s flms were proper films although the less said about them the better. :?

Note the entry of the Mac onto the Dr. Who thread and his apparent show of knowledge on the subject :!:

Glad you guys caught up with me :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like they are thinkin gto replace Tennant with Russell Tovey from the History Boys.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7618537.stm

I don’t really know Doctor Who, but Russell Tovey doesn’t look like an incarnation of the Doctor to me.

[quote=“Klan”]

I don’t really know Doctor Who, but Russell Tovey doesn’t look like an incarnation of the Doctor to me.[/quote]

Seconded. Mind, it’s just a big lot of speculation because Russel T Davies says in his book that he would make a great Doctor. We are used to RTD throwing red herrings at us.
I am more interested in the casting rumours for the specials…

The Sun, at the origin of those rumours, had already got Kylie right (which was vehemently denied by the Beebs)