Autumn 2008 70mm

Yes George, Die Hard :smiley:

Gremlins is like the best movie EVER! Little annoying things that love causing havoc :!: :!: :!:

We last showed Gremlins in November 2005 courtesy of TCM doing a free tour of it around unis - it was a free screening, so the figures may be slightly misleading, but it’s very promising :smiley:

[quote=“George”][size=24]DIE HARD!!![/size]

:D[/quote]

Seconded. But only if George projects it. :roll: We’ll see how far his dedication goes :twisted:

I seconded it… you’lll have to ‘third it’.

Alright. But remember my thirding is conditional!

We should show another Star Trek film in 70 mm: II to VI appear to be available.

gremlins almost gave me a heart attack when we played it last time…

the bit when the go into a proj box and it shows the film going out of rack, and then burning on screen (it was my 2 or 3rd show, and had a reasonable amount of edge damage)

I won a freeview box at that TCM screening too, yay! an embarressing moment for WSC :smiley:

Die Hard would be awesome! can i fourth it?

Tron and gremlins would be cool to see

Haven’t seen arachnophobia or my fair lady

It depends. Is your fourthing conditional on George projecting it? Because, if not, then it is only a thirding…

I would like to see Tron.

Is it (technically) possible to project a 3D movie? You know, the kind where you need the blue and red glasses? Or would we need different projectors?

Because a 3D film would be fun to show, and different as well!

II, IV and VI are the good ones and we’ve already shown II so I guess that makes it IV or VI if we want to show another.

[quote=“Attila”]I won a freeview box at that TCM screening too, yay! an embarressing moment for WSC :smiley:
[/quote]

I remember, I was on stage. It didn’t help that Mark when he read your name out pointed out that “that’s the projectionist”. Calls from the audience of fix and rigged followed. :oops:

I think 3D films tend to be done with polarised light these days rather than red and green.

[quote=“George”]

To be fair, they were mostly from Nick, as I recall. :)[/quote]

No no, as i walked down i was hissed slightly, and heard rigged and fixed mentioned a lot in the audience, worth it for a freeview box mind - its a good one :slight_smile:

Just to answer your question Pierre, I don’t believe we can show 3D film. And as fun as Die Hard is, we have shown it recently, and it isn’t in DTS … It would be nice to try and utilise all the equipment we have available to us. We also showed the Indy films pretty recently; the first two as 70mm, and the last one as 35mm, a year or two ago I think. Is it possible that they will make a 70mm print of the fourth one?

R x

Are any 70 mm prints made today?

Doubtful ???

Does anyone know ??

Wouldn’t the equipment used to strike 70mm films be tucked away in a museum somewhere ?

I think it has become less and less popular, resulting in it becoming almost prohibitively expensive. It just strikes me that George Lucas/Steven Spielberg might do it, if anyone was to do it. It would mean they have a full set, too :slight_smile: