District 9

This both looks and sounds pretty good.

It topped the US box office this weekend with $37.4M, so there’s clearly the potential for it to do rather well over here. It’s also got a (currently highly elevated compared to where it’ll finish) rating of 8.8 on IMDb, placing it (on August 19th) at a very respectable 26th in the all time ratings. Ok, so it will go down, but it has already had 17,000 votes, which whilst not huge, isn’t pathetic either.

It’s not really got anyone of particular note in it, but the publicity and trailer look pretty good, and it’s nice to see things from unusual film regions, such as south africa & new zealand, doing well in the states.

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/d/images/district-9-poster-0.jpg

It does look really good. It’s got Peter Jackson’s name on it which should help it sell (even if he didn’t have much to do with making the film). Nice to see a sci-fi film with a bit more too it than just expensive special effects. It’s out here on the 4th of September so not long to wait.

Apparently (see BBC page), they really pushed the boat out on promoting it, including:

It’s a bit dissapoiting that the new Miyazaki offering, Ponyo only made it in at number nine though. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how it does in the UK when it comes out… in February :!:

[quote=“Roberto”]

It’s a bit dissapoiting that the new Miyazaki offering, Ponyo only made it in at number nine though. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how it does in the UK when it comes out… in February :!:[/quote]

It’s probably because he went back to traditional simplistic japanimation. A sea with eyes, what will he think of next?
Anyhoo, as a result, it doesn’t have the same grandeur as his previous opera (plural for opus, not the musical thingy)…

I saw District 9 this afternoon and I think it’s one of the films of the year.

I’m with the Mac on this. Really good film.

Thirded.
I got rather excited about it after Empire’s article on the film two months ago, but then I was put off by the very ‘action-y’ trailers they were screening. But when I did see it, it was just what I wanted it to be (although it did get pretty ridiculous by the end!).

Tis gonna make for some fun publicity :slight_smile: