Draft I Autumn 23/24 Schedule

Hi all! Here’s the first draft of the autumn 2023 schedule (on behalf of @ZainMothupi and @dillan) – please send in any and all suggestions! The films officers will be finalising and checking availability from the 10th July so please get your suggestions in by then :smiling_face:

There should be a programming meeting online before the 10th – check slack for updates!

3 Likes

a few thoughts

• only one barbie and two oppenheimer?!?!?! -feels blasphemous personally
  • i feel like across the spiderverse would do better not as an ffe - i feel like it would make bank and do better on a double as it will still have hype/rewatch value for the folks that enjoyed it?
  • a whole week of halloween might be too much - i feel like a mini season of three, spread across the week, ending on a double would be slay (esp one that looks nice on pub like Pride did in Spring). Having a variety in this - my personal picks would be somethin like coraline, shaun and something big horror vibes for the double maybe, would be pog. Same applies to black history month (obvs good to keep that theme in, maybe just select a few as the key ones together for pub purposes? just my opinion tho)
  • cute extra christmassy film at the end would be pog and nice vibes, i feel like nightmare fits with halloween still in a way
  • IK we have mean girls and devil wears prada for the Girlies and i back that, but more of these other genres please!!! if bottoms is out on time definitely back that as i think it would be popular
  • WW Weds will always be a struggle bc it will only be on the special pub for WW not the A0. Bcos of this i think asteroid city and elemental should go elsewhere :)))

Some thoughts -

• There is a good balance between independent and mainstream
  • When Bottoms and May December get release dates they should definitely be on there
  • 35mm in Welcome Week needs to be more spread out
  • Given Wednesday in Welcome Week is not on Pub, would be good to put the current Wednesday films on other days as they are all quite BIG
  • Horror season should just be three films tbh, and Coraline kind of clashes Nightmare Before Xmas, so maybe Donnie Darko instead (Get Out is good and then maybe a classic horror)
  • I back the Cannes films which aren’t confirmed yet
  • More Barbie pls!
  • Black history month might work better as a more concrete block to look better on Pub
  • More animation/anime for collabs potentially
  • Interstellar, Oppenheimer and Dune in the same week feels like they would cancel each other out + might be too long to fit with 3 films a day
1 Like

initial thoughts from me!

• like the mix of new releases midweek!
  • would definitely like more barbie – maybe 1 barbie in WW and a double sometime in early term? ditto with oppenheimer, would be cool to have a double during term time as well (and should def be the same number of barbies as oppenheimers, possibly even more)
  • 3hr+ films can only be 9pms in WW so will need to rearrange oppenheimer there
  • would move asteroid city to a double during term time
  • elemental is a great WW pick imo but would like it not on the weds!
  • echoing a shorter halloween season – love the idea but a whole week is gonna spread our halloween-y audience quite thin. coraline + shaun of the dead + a big scary horror would make a great combo!
  • more new releases would be good - indiana jones etc. especially with sequels we can have a look back at how their prequels did previously to get an idea of how they’d do?
  • would be nice for the 35mm/70mm gang to have some warning on which days we’ll need to project – currently looks like it’s a bit squished together but i imagine that’ll change a fair bit
  • don’t think i back strays/avatar in WW (or possibly at all?)
  • when rearranging we need to bear in mind that films with the same audience base need to be like a week apart – agree that interstellar/oppenheimer/dune are too similar to be in one week! dune could work later on in term if we could build any hype for part 2?
1 Like

+1 on this - I wonder if maybe Puss In Boots could work following same vibes of EEAAO, sleeper hit with wide ranging appeal

I notice that you’ve shortlisted Raiders in 70mm – the print’s pink regardless but also, as well as needing to replace the damping springs to be able to run film through it before, the fact that it’s had its spring removed at all means that we’ll need to align everything again and set head gap loss. This is an evil job, and you absolutely need test film for it which we do have, but I’m not entirely convinced of its quality and of course there’s always the chance of a freak accident involving it all slipping through a gap in the floor. TL;DR don’t set your heart on mag just yet and possibly not this term depending on how successfully The Big Summer Tech List goes.

Other 70mm thoughts: Boogie Nights, there’s only one print and it’s in the US. Joker is 1.85 and we’d need to make (not just cut, make) aperture plates for it from scratch.

1 Like

i will have more thoughts as the schedule develops, but for now, my only comments are:

1. move either elemental/asteroid city into W1/W2 - i feel like we have enough eggs in one basket with the new releases in welcome week, and it would be nice to have some of the other summer releases pushed back slightly so we could try and get some continued custom into the first couple of weeks into term? whilst we hope that people will fall in love with WSC in welcome week, people will start to consider the opportunity cost of attending other society events/freshers fair in lieu of going to WSC every day of the week

2. pulp fiction should be on any other day but wednesday - won’t be on the A0/A2 and is apparently normally quite popular

3. do we wanna do a “free if you dress up/bring something” animated film for the weds 6pm slot? weds do badly historically bc they are not on the publicity apparently, so might be worth putting something fun here to attract people? i am slightly biased, as the first time I came to WSC was minions – my flatmates and i came dressed up/brought a banana to watch the film for free, so it deffo worked for me!

4. not sure about spiderverse being the FFA on the sunday, but no ideas what to replace it with.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

NB. Dune was only put in WW due to us anticipating it being embargoed & our thoughts were to just put in as early as possible until we heard back with a final decision. After chasing Warner for ~2 weeks, they finally told us this morning that they’re doing a reverse embargo and so we can play it any time from 22/9 onwards & have moved it out of WW.

We’d have liked to get ppl’s thoughts/comments specifically on the following things if possible :blush: (some things on the spreadsheet have also now been updated to match where we were at with our thoughts prior to the schedule going live yesterday):

• Which new releases (closer to/during term) do ppl feel strongly about being doubles/singles?

• Gaps have been left on both doubles & singles to balance out the schedule. What specific titles do you guys want/what titles do you like from the updated list of previous suggestions below the schedule?

• We’ve now had a chance to properly update the All-Nighter page. Which ones do ppl like/any other ideas? We would like to have the theme narrowed down at the programming meeting.

• Any strong thoughts on the independent new releases that we’ve highlighted in blue as ‘maybes’ on the new releases page that aren’t on the schedule?

• Which 70mm titles do ppl like? We had an email from someone last week who really wanted 2001 again, which we wouldn’t be totally against?

• Are there any other themes/occasions you would like to see represented in the schedule? We had previously thought about Diwali/Dia de los Muertos/Remembrance Sunday?

1 Like

Some “my first thoughts” advice (just saw your post Dillan so ignore if some of these have been addressed already):

• Y’know, I actually don’t hate Spider-Man as the FFE. “New” ideas have a way of being really cyclical at Filmsoc and usually we can look and go “OK, what’s going to make this work this time when it didn’t work two years ago?” but we’ve never actually committed to trying doing something like this afaik. I sort-of think it’s worth the punt – of course, losing a new film that’d take cash money is bad but also packing L3 to the rafters for arrivals is quite pog if they come back.
  • I think people are moving in the direction of commenting that the overall vibe is too ‘bleak’ and we need more ‘fun’ but I think it’s more subtle than that bc I don’t think everything else needs to be Mean Girls and Devil Wears Prada (full disclosure: I love both of these). I’ve heard like ‘grungy’ being used a lot and I think that probably sums it up at least partially – there’s a lot going on that’s colour graded in blues and greys. Films like CMBYN aren’t exactly ‘fun’, but they’re also not Dune/Interstellar/Blade just as much as they’re not Mean Girls and DWP. Basically, anything that doesn’t come up as ‘action’, ‘horror’, ‘thriller’ or ‘sci-fi’ when you Google it, I guess?
  • Everything everyone else says about Barbie, Strays(!), the volume of horror, packing all the brand new films into WW, Weds in WW etc.
  • Killers of the Flower Moon is probably going to be another Irishman isn’t it? Giving it such a prominent slot and presumably having to do acrobatics to get it to be a double when it’s probably gonna get like 15/20 people feels like wasted effort.
  • I think there was talk about wanting to approach the SU for an BHM collab. Probably a good idea to work on this still imo but that means they pick the films based on their campaign work (tbf that integration and put-together vibe is quite nice to have anyway). Wrt the holiday/‘month’ programming in general I’m just a bit wary of having a slew of Prides where we had fun but also we played a £200 film to pretty much just crew (which we could have just done as a social). IDK I feel like there’s a gap sometimes between “good, worthwhile idea, we absolutely should do something for that” and executing it in a way that gets people to come.
1 Like
  • Which new releases (closer to/during term) do ppl feel strongly about being doubles/singles?
    (Ik this isn’t the q but i am once again asking for Barbie to be a double at least).

• Gaps have been left on both doubles & singles to balance out the schedule. What specific titles do you guys want/what titles do you like from the updated list of previous suggestions below the schedule?
    Bottoms if at all possible would be pog! obvs dependent on UK release date on time

• We’ve now had a chance to properly update the All-Nighter page. Which ones do ppl like/any other ideas? We would like to have the theme narrowed down at the programming meeting.
    Not sure which ones id fully get behind. I feel like all Avengers is a lot, and thats coming from me. Hunger games makes sense as a franchise, and might gain audiences bc of the new ballad one coming out. Godfather is very much a specific vibe and i think it would be a bit of a slog bc it doesn’t scream like ‘fun stay up n watch’ vibes. Having said that, never seen it, so pls take my words with a pinch of salt, but arguably watching them all doesnt entice me either? Hope that makes sense

• Any strong thoughts on the independent new releases that we’ve highlighted in blue as ‘maybes’ on the new releases page that aren’t on the schedule?
    I think indiana jones should deffo be added, its a big summer release and folks r familiar with it (Plus PWB!), idk about indie stuff bc thats not my vibe so i cant comment on that :)))

• Which 70mm titles do ppl like? We had an email from someone last week who really wanted 2001 again, which we wouldn’t be totally against?
    Idk? i dont rlly have too many thoughts on this

• Themes/occasions - could be cute but i dont have any suggestions!!!

I feel like any classic Bollywood films would be cool for Diwali - upon further research, I think Mohabbatein would be amazing (it’s one of my favs), if it’s available/accessible - it has some Diwali involved (and Holi) - I realised not many Bollywood films have Diwali as the main focus, unlike Christmas in English films

1 Like

For doubles, I only feel strongly about Dune Part II and Five Nights at Freddy’s (for the films closer to/during term) tbh. I think we should show the first Dune early on so we don’t have people confused and think we’re showing Part II if we show it closer to Part II’s release date.
I’d also back Kieran’s point that Killers of the Flower Moon should be a single mostly because of its length and I don’t think it’s that double worthy.

I think most of the films suggested below the schedule are good choices, I’m just hesitant whether certain films will do well (i.e. Melancholia, Pricess Kaguya etc.)

Where is the Shrek all-nighter?
In all seriousness, I think the A24 all-nighter and Spiderman all-nighter are good ideas (especially the Spiderman one if we can restore our reputation with that haha). Not sure about the Avengers one since it’s not really a series of films that you can follow without watching the wider MCU films. Hunger Games all-nighter would be good if we could do it. As for the Godfather all-nighter idea, I think something like 6:30PM Godfather and 9:30PM Godfather Part II is good enough and we don’t need an all-nighter to include the third one, but that’s just my opinion.

Not counting Indiana Jones, the only ones I’ve heard of are The Blackening and The First Slam Dunk. We could do an AnimeSoc collab if we show The First Slam Dunk, but I’m hesitant whether it will do well as 1) a sports film and 2) a CGI film, since anime fans really prefer 2D animation.

1. for doubles: barbie, oppenheimer, asteroid city, dune II, FNAF, indiana jones. i think the choices for singles so far are really good! not sure about killers of the flower moon or the creator as doubles but i wouldn’t die on that hill! moonlight absolutely not as a double (and as much as i love the film, maybe remove completely? we only showed it 2 years ago and it did Quite Badly).

2. amelie, pitch perfect, lady bird and ferris bueller all seem like fun ones from the list! i like lady bird as a FFM but that’s just A Feeling and has zero evidence. also big fan of both the cannes films and the ones which we’re waiting on release dates for.

3. anniversary/a24/spiderman are my favourites! ambivalent about animation/hunger games/avengers, don’t think batman/godfather would work.

4. i think indiana jones should definitely be on there! smoking causes coughing looks a bit wild, possibly in a good way but probably not and i Can’t Quite Tell. name me lawand is a diff genre so i back it, not sure how well it’d do but we could hit up documentary soc for a collab? absolutely hate the beanie bubble. the blackening looks fun and potentially has enough of a fourth-wall-breaking nature to attract the horror fans.
    couple of the orange ones could maybe be reconsidered as well? the nun 1 did really well (no idea if the sequel has any hype), medusa deluxe looks like a vibe, don’t have any super strong opinions either way but probably worth un-writing some new releases off.

5. 2001 in 70mm sounds awesome. other than that maybe lawrence of arabia?

6. totally back jay’s suggestion of a classic bollywood for diwali! or even just in general - can’t remember ever having any bollywood on and it would be pog.

other thoughts:

• i like eric’s suggestion of another gimmicky fun showing on WW weds! maybe elemental? not sure what else could have A Theme but i’m sure there are loads of options.
  • maybe streamline the bhm theme - not every film with black characters needs to be For bhm so could cut it down to 3 (i just like the number 3). i really like hidden figures (wouldn’t die on the hill of it Doing Well but i think it’s a great premise and i like the book), and then maybe brother and soul for a good range of genres/new releases?

Most doubles good, though not sure about A Haunting in Venice or The Creator, both seem more fitting for singles, whereas Drive-Away Dolls could be a better double and maybe Talk to Me . I agree that Killers of the Flower Moon should be a single.

From the suggestions: Donnie Darko, Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine, Lady Bird (I also back that as FFM) and Junk Head (Kaguya > Fireflies, but they both seem like strange choices, I assume it’s due to Ghibli having annoying distribution)

I am a big fun of the 50th anniversary all-nighter (it’s a pretty good way to get the 50th anniversary to have a prominent place on the publicity as well), although animation all-nighter could be fun (maybe one of them could be T2). Hard no to Godfather (although a double-bill of the first 2 could work) and Avengers (way too samey imo). Spider-Man and Batman could be both fun as there is much more variety. I don’t think A24 would work too well, I don’t remember the Mystery Film last year doing amazingly. Hunger Games would be good and, if we don’t do it as an all-nighter, I’d back the first Hunger Games being played at some point (or maybe even a double bill of the first two).

Smoking Causing Coughing looks great and fun, Name Me Lawand is also a good choice especially because it seems to have quite a unique perspective, not too sure about the other blue ones but The Blackening has potential.

70mm 2001 feels like the sort of thing we should try and show every year, also back Lawrence of Arabia, Phantom Thread could work but I feel like it wouldn’t do all that well.

• Are there any other themes/occasions you would like to see represented in the schedule? We had previously thought about Diwali/Dia de los Muertos/Remembrance Sunday?

Classic Bollywood for Diwali would be awesome, ditto any opportunity to showcase filmmaking from around the world that rarely gets shown at WSC/many UK cinemas is great especially given how diverse the student body is (and how unoriginal only doing Xmas/Halloween is).

I suppose we’d need to be clever about it though bc the Actual Diwali Celebrations on the piazza were quite big this year weren’t they? Do we wanna have a chat with the Warwick Presents gang about what they’re planning? (@livlancastle @DanielKallin ?)

(also Indian cinema in general tends to be an absolute nightmare to licence in the UK – ask Aryan – so defo plan backup plans for your backup plans across a range of distributors. If Bhavna’s still at Eros she’s pog, but I know weird things happened with the STX merger).