Foreign Language, Midnights & Classics (Autumn 09)

Please add further suggestions to this list - discussions(/debates) will take place at the start of the summer term :slight_smile:

Foreign language
Let the Right One In (Swedish - Five Stars from Empire - Vampires)
Rudo y Cursi (Spanish - Gael Garcia Bernal)
Los Abrazos Rotos (Spanish - New Almodovar with Penelope Cruz - Broken Embraces)
Okuribito (Japanese - Won this year’s best foreign language Oscar, ahead of the likes of Gomorrah and Waltz with Bashir)
Spirited Away (Japanese - Miyazaki’s best)
Katyn - Oscar Nominated best foreign language (Polish) film.
Banlieue 13 - Ultimatum (French) Follow-up to District 13.

Midnighters (One of which will be on Halloween!)
Lesbian Vampire Killers
Let the Right One In (Swedish - See above)
The Uninvited
Drag Me to Hell (New Sam Raimi offering)
The Exorcist (The Director’s Cut - New Prints)
Friday 13th (The new one)

Classics
Pulp Fiction (Newish Prints and never fails - would be wrong not to offer this to the freshers :!:slight_smile:
Armageddon (possible 70mm)
Die Hard (70mm)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (it’s Jack!)
Brokeback Mountain (Heath Ledger connection to Parnassus)
Raging Bull (De Niro!!!)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (We tried to show this as last film before Christmas last year, but it got pulled due to the 3D re-release… this year should be ok :slight_smile: )
Fight Club (Doesn’t need an introduction!)
Requiem for a Dream (Aronofsky’s 2000 hit)
Aliens (70mm) - Yup, trying to make up for this year!

Tokyo Sonata for foreign movie

hmm, ALL THE CLASSICS! :slight_smile:

how about trying to get the delicatessen for a foreign language - its the same guy who did amelie, and i think its probably a bit better too

[size=9]better than Amelie? is that possible? But Amelie has Yann Tiersen.

‘Paris’ (2008) looks pretty good (perhaps a tad mainstream, but that’s not always a bad thing), and I’m pretty sure it was shown at the arts centre so we wouldn’t have the ‘L’Auberge Espagnole’ problem. It would be awesome if we could get Romain Duris on the schedule, and it also has Juliette Binoche, Fabrice Luchini and its written and directed by the guy that made ‘L’Auberge Espagnole’

Also, schrolling through past years (to see if we showed ‘Dans Paris’ when it came out - If it’s there, I can’t find it) I noticed ET in 70mm. ET! Just thought I’d put that out there seeing as we’re showing Aliens again and thats been on once already since. (I’m really not trying to step on any hardcore Die Hard fans’ toes…)

‘One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest’ would be quite cool :D[/size]

From in70mm.com, I see that Bradford are showing both Vertigo and 2001: A Space Odyssey on 70mm prints, several times in the upcoming months, so they could be good options for us :slight_smile:

Can’t we get Batman in 70mm? That’d be AWESOME. Even worth paying transport from Norway IMO.

2001!! :smiley:

Couple foreign suggestions…
-In the City of Sylvia (Spanish, mixed reviews. Here’s the trailer)
-Paris, je t’aime (French among others - wonderful collaboration between a mass of talent. Trailer here) (they’ve also just released *New York, je t’aime * but not in UK … yet. Not foreign lang though, I’m sure!)

how about bollywood movies??? we seem to be looking mainly at european foregn films…bit of bollywood boldness might be quite fun :smiley:

There’s also Il Divo, the biography of former Italian Prime Minister, Giulio Andreotti.

Got a good Chinese film.
It is called Red Cliff.

It is a war epic directed by John Woo.
The war took place in the Three Kingdom period on which the hit game series Dynasty Warriors is based.
Empire gave it 4 stars.
I enjoyed it and got the first half of it on DVD. I can bring it to the EPM.
(release date 19 June)

Sorry, just found that out on Empire. Hope it’s not too late.

[quote=“Jeffrey”]Got a good Chinese film.
It is called Red Cliff.

It is a war epic directed by John Woo.
The war took place in the Three Kingdom period on which the hit game series Dynasty Warriors is based.
Empire gave it 4 stars.
I enjoyed it and got the first half of it on DVD. I can bring it to the EPM.
(release date 19 June)

Sorry, just found that out on Empire. Hope it’s not too late.[/quote]

my flatmates mentioned it to me a while ago. i think the only issue with it is that it’s incredibly long! but we could do what we did with che pt1 and 2 this term, i.e. show part 1 one night and then part 2 the night after

I think it was only released as a shortened single film in the UK rather than two parts. The IMDB runtime is listed as 148min which isn’t too bad.

Yeah, I read about that in Empire. Indeed it does sound pretty good, and the cut-down UK version isn’t too long for a single screening either.

oh yeaaaah. that’s what it was. my flatmate said it’d be good, if we could get the chinese version which is in two parts, but doesn’t think the shortened version was any good :?

I doubt we’d be able to get a subtitled version of the full Chinese version since it wasn’t released comercially like that. (Plus, I suspect having to see two showings would put a lot of people off coming).

The shorten version is supposed to be more compact because the original two parts contains too much history and politics which would be quite tough for westerners. The story of red cliff is quite well known in the east-asian area.