London 2012 mascots unveiled

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/london_2012/8690467.stm

:shock

I’m going to be highly controversial and say that I quite like them :oops:

My logic? Well, I don’t like the names, in spite of their understandable origins:

[quote]Wenlock is named after the Shropshire town of Much Wenlock where, in the mid-19th century, the Wenlock Games became one of the inspirations for the modern Olympic movement. Mandeville’s name is derived from Stoke Mandeville, in Buckinghamshire, home to Stoke Mandeville Hospital.

In the 1940s Dr Ludwig Guttman came to the hospital to set up a new spinal unit to help former soldiers suffering from spinal cord injuries. Looking for ways to inspire those in his care he encouraged them to take up sport and the Stoke Mandeville Games was formed, widely recognised as a forerunner of the modern Paralympic movement.[/quote]

…but they are actually a darn site better than most of the ones from previous olympics, and of course there’s no way that they could be considered as bad as the logo.

That said, I still think that something more like Berlino would have been much better, though that might be as much due to the character that seemed to be created by the guy inside him, rather than the mascot image itself.

It should also be added though that the human-sized costume versions do look pretty sh***y :?

[quote=‘Roberto’ pid=‘29938’ dateline=‘1274310305’]
they are actually a darn site better than most of the ones from previous olympics, and of course there’s no way that they could be considered as bad as the logo.[/quote]

Actually I quite like all the ones shown in the slide show (except for Athena and Pavros???) though I am from a rugby background where it’s common for the team to have a guy in a random animal costume dancing at the match.[hr]

[quote=‘natalia’ pid=‘29941’ dateline=‘1274351462’]

Actually I quite like all the ones shown in the slide show (except for Athena and Pavros???) [/quote]

And Mandible and Hemlock.

I feel sorry for whoever ends up wearing the mascot suits…