Oscars 2010

The Oscar nominations have been announced. Looks like The Hurt Locker and Avatar might do quite well.

BEST DIRECTOR
James Cameron, Avatar
Katherine Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Quentin Tarentino, Inglourious Basterds
Lee Daniels, Precious
Jason Reitman, Up In The Air

BEST ACTOR
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
George Clooney, Up In The Air
Colin Firth, A Single Man
Morgan Freeman, Invictus
Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker

BEST ACTRESS
Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Helen Mirren, The Last Station
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabourey Sidibe, Precious

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Penelope Cruz, Nine
Vera Farmiga, Up In the Air
Anna Kendrick, Up In the Air
Maggie Gyllenhaal, Crazy Heart
Mo’nique, Precious

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
Matt Damon, Invictus
Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones
Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Christopher Plummer, The Last Station

BEST PICTURE
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglorious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up In the Air

no real surprises in there… though i am intrigued as to whether or not Coraline can topple up in the pixar category :wink:

I forgot they were reverting to 10 nominees for best picture. It’s nice to see Up in there, not that it stands a chance. And District 9 and A Serious Man - didn’t expect either of those two!

It’s amazing how many of these we’re not currently planning on showing: The Last Station, A Single Man, Crazy Heart, and Precious… Ho hum, I guess they just didn’t get the all-important votes.

My vote goes to (in the order announced by George)

Cameron (Avatar),
Freeman (Invictus)
[not seen any but my gut instinct tells me Helen Mirren]
Penelope Cruz (Nine - where’s Judi Dench though?)
Matt Damon (Invictus)
Up as best picture.

The Last Station is on Thursday week 5 and Crazy Heart doesn’t have a UK release date. Precious and A Single Man probably ought to be on the schedule I guess (especially since I’ve seen quite a few news sites tip Precious to do well at the Oscars).

Ruins the quiz question about the only animated film ever to be nominated for Best Picture though, doesn’t it?!

Akin to Pierre (heaven forbid!), I too have estimated what/who I think, and what/who I want to win each category, again, without having seen too many of the candidates:

Expectations:

**BEST DIRECTOR **
**BEST ACTOR **
Morgan Freeman, Invictus
**BEST ACTRESS **
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
**BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS **
Mo’nique, Precious
**BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR **
**BEST PICTURE **
Up In the Air

My Preferences:

**BEST DIRECTOR **
James Cameron, Avatar
**BEST ACTOR **
George Clooney, Up In The Air
**BEST ACTRESS **
Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia
Maggie Gyllenhaal, Crazy Heart
**BEST PICTURE **
Inglorious Basterds

Stealing Rob’s layout here are my choices/guesses

Expectations:

**BEST DIRECTOR **
**BEST ACTOR **
Morgan Freeman, Invictus
**BEST ACTRESS **
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Mo’nique, Precious
**BEST PICTURE **
The Hurt Locker

My Preferences:

**BEST DIRECTOR **
**BEST ACTOR **
undecided
**BEST ACTRESS **
undecided
undecided
**BEST PICTURE **
District 9

[quote=“George”]
My Preferences:

**BEST DIRECTOR **
**BEST ACTOR **
undecided
**BEST ACTRESS **
undecided
undecided[/quote]

undecided? now that’s not on georgio - surely you have to make a decision based on what you’ve heard, mixed with what you’ve seen :?: :!:

I’ve inadvertently stayed up to hear the results as announced. First: Christoph Waltz as Best Supporting Actor. Hurrah!

:smiley: Well deserved I think.

More news; Up has won the Oscar for best animated feature.

Full results list now out and i have to say that they’re a bit boring :frowning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8493152.stm

For the second year in a row, the big winner has no acting wins, and I have to say that for all four of the favourites to win the acting categories is a little sad, though admittedly, like most people on these forums, i’ve only seen one of the four winners.

I don’t know how it usually happens, but are we going to get the breakdowns? It’d be interesting to see who’d have won in the old voting system.

[quote=“Roberto”]Full results list now out and i have to say that they’re a bit boring :frowning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8493152.stm

For the second year in a row, the big winner has no acting wins, and I have to say that for all four of the favourites to win the acting categories is a little sad, though admittedly, like most people on these forums, i’ve only seen one of the four winners.[/quote]

The results were a bit predictable in the end. Most of the smaller Oscars seemed to just be divided between a few films. It would have been nice to see In the Loop or District 9 pick up something for example and Inglourious barely got anything.

I was surprised to see The White Ribbon and A Prophet miss out on Best Foreign Language Film.

If you were a tad bored by the eventual Oscar winners, then Empire/Jameson’s awards are at the ‘pick the winner’ stage… perhaps we should do a little filmsoc vote too?!

http://www.empireonline.com/awards2010/vote/

The Empire awards can be a bit weird though. The demographic of the readers is a little difficult to predict so odd things win sometimes (eg Order of the Phoenix got David Yates best director in 2006). :shock:

Agreed that it’s not necessarily a great representation of your general moviegoer. But then again, I guess the point is that is the movie fanatic’s list of favourites, which is appropriate in a different way.
Regardless, I do enjoy it as voting for what I liked makes me feel validated in my opinions about some things that didn’t get rewarded at the bigger types of Awards. Like In the Loop and Mélanie Laurent.