Schedule Discussion

The provisional summer term schedule is now online, please discuss it here. Please keep in mind that this schedule is provisional, and is mostly based on release dates, so it will hopefully avoid distribution problems.

I expect that quite alot will change between now and the final schedule.

The schedule will be presented at the Programming Meeting (PM) on Wednesday week 5 at 5:30pm in L3. All are welcome to attend and contribute their ideas to the schedule, but please voice opinions here beforehand so we don’t spend to much time arguing at the PM!

Commence discussion now…

I’m afraid my two suggestions are somewhat contradictory.

1. I think Push should be on there as it looks like a reasonably big blockbuster that might pull people in.

2. I think you’ll need to cut the schedule back during the main exam weeks (6 to 8) as people tend not to come and they’re very difficult to staff. Last time we dropped the Wednesday screening and only showed the weaker films for those weeks (Underworld 3 is probably fine where it is, The Punisher and The Spirit could probably be moved in there). The second midnight might also be difficult to get people to go to or project etc since its in the middle of the exams. Its hard to say what’s easy to drop to make space though. Punisher and Pathology seem like the best candidates to me and possibly some of the foreign films (although I know absolutely nothing about them).

This may well have been stated somewhere else (my apologies if so) but any reason why we’re not starting til the thurs of week 1? That could save two of the films from being axed, if they move to the tues and wed first up.

I’d also be v tempted to push Rachel Getting Married to a double…

That said, the Sun/Tues doubles are v strong, so if i had to choose one for it to swap with, it might end up being the day the earth stood still, which i don’t think did too well in the big ol’ world, did it?

I agree with George about the schedule being a little busy towards the end of term, I think it might be very hard to staff from a projectionist point of view.

Also even though I have just said that the schedule is a little full but I think that Vicky Cristina Barcelona needs to be on there, I think it could do fairly well.

Ooh, I completely agree with Vicky… indeed, that one could well be double material (if we didn’t have so many strong doubles!)

Doubt may also have to be cut to a single if the outdoor screening end up on tues of week 10 again, but that’s something for the new exec to decide upon for details! :lol:

As Vicky and Rob have mentioned, Vicky Cristina Barcelona should be on the schedule.

In response to Rob, the first few days were left blank so I could fit in anything I forgot.

This seems to have been a success as I forgot something!

Mat, you’re a legend for putting Pathology on the schedule!!
I love you forever!

However, totally agree about Vicky Christina Barcelona for a double - looks like it’s gonna be a good’n and draw quite a few folk in.

That’s my two cents :smiley:

1. Slumdog really needs to be swaped with the wrestler, it is much more comercial and is likly to do much better at the oscars. Also Benjamin Button should be swapped with Gran Torino for the same reasons.

2. Revolutionary Road was hyped to be one the big contenders at the oscars but walked away with only 3 nominations, I’d switch it with Milk to get the more acclaimed film out of the exam deadzone, this would also make sense.

3. Burn After Reading is headlining the allnighter it would probally be my first choice to move of a double (allighter films are unlikely to get more than 200 people) if you do as suggested and move Rachel Getting Married to a double.

4)The Spirit, The Punisher, Underworld, Seven Pounds should be in the exam deadzone like others have suggested. With 2 more films in week one we only need to drop 1 more film to have Wednesdays in weeks 6-8 empty

1. I have not heard of the following so they would therefore be my first choice to drop, :
    Timecrimes [s]
    I’ve Loved You So Long [s]
    Tôkyô sonata [s]
    The Family Picture (i can’t even find this on imdb)

2. Bolt (aka Disney’s animated best film in ages)is meant to be much better than The Tale of Despereaux (see rotten tomates and imdb) I would try and get that instead (or show them both if you can fit them on the schedule, which at the moment you cannot)

3. Vicky Cristina Barcelona should be on the schedule as should The Visitor (it got a best actor nom at the oscars). Also Frozen River got best actress and original screenplay noms so shold be show but imdb doesn’t have a uk release date so maybe its not out yet. The following got best foreign film noms but i could find uk release dates we should try and show them if possible:
    Revanche
    Departures

4. I thought the point of My Bloody Valentine was it was in 3D, do people think it’s worth showing it in 2D. I would suggest quantine (the remake) as replacement but I’m not sure about this. Also Let the Right One In should be shown as the WOM is great, It’s number 6 in the imdb top 50 horror titles

5. I know we had 4 showings of it last term but because of the late finish of the 10:30 showing some people missed it when we showed it. I know we weren’t able to get it or begins this term because of the rerelease. But I really think that we shold give the people who missed it another chance to see The Dark Knight (possibly in a double with begins). However we seem to have a full schedule as it is so maybe this should wait till next term (could do well with the freshers) and would make a change from Pulp fiction

6. I’m sorry for rambleing on for so long, but your schedule is the best one we’ve had in a while (imagine how big this post would be if I didn’t like the schedule), my points are fairly minor really I just want to make it as good as possible.

[quote=“Gareth”]5) I have not heard of the following so they would therefore be my first choice to drop, :
Timecrimes [s]
I’ve Loved You So Long [s]
Tôkyô sonata [s]
The Family Picture (i can’t even find this on imdb)[/quote]

The Family Picture is a Warwick student film that we agreed to show (hence why it isn’t on imdb.)

[quote=“Gareth”]8 I thought the point of My Bloody Valentine was it was in 3D, do people think it’s worth showing it in 2D. I would suggest quantine (the remake) as replacement but I’m not sure about this. Also Let the Right One In should be shown as the WOM is great, It’s number 6 in the imdb top 50 horror titles
[/quote]

Quarentine is a scene by scene remake of REC so I’m not really sure there is any point showing it. From what I’ve seen they’ve even copied the set. :?

I agree. I believe it’s also nominated for an oscar.

According to imdb the UK release date for Let the Right One In is April 10th so don’t know if that’s too late. Although it does need to go on our schedule at some moment in time.

Yeah, it looks pretty good.

sorry if its been said exactly like this before, but id swap out the day the earth… and in v.c. barcelona, perhaps moving 7grams and others like gareth said those films to fridays and v.c. barcelona to sunday?

I would really like to go with the swedish horror one that gareth referred to is not out til april, but swedish vampires sound pretty awesome - especially if they’re all childrenny and thus overly scary (like the eyebrows ad :shock: )

PS: Damn you Aiden, you beat me by a minute or so :frowning:

Pathology isn’t released till april 11th, so if we can get that then i can get my swedish vampires surely?

On the subject of quarentine, yeah it does seem pointless but some people would have been put off rec because it was subtitled (even worse when its a midnight). The thing is the whol ad campaign for My bloody valentine seems to be based on the 3D-ness of it

On the subject of doubles, after my proproced changes the sundays would look like:
w2: Yes Man
w3:The Reader
w4: The Wrestler
w5: Frost/Nixon
w6: Milk
w7: Seven Pounds
w8: Revolutionary Road
w9: Gran Torino
w10: Doubt
and the fridays:
w1: Burn After Reading
w2: Twilight
w3: Slumdog Millionaire
w4: The Day the Earth Stood Still
w5: Valkyrie
w6: Defiance
w7: Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
w8: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
w9: Watchmen

Kathryn wanted to swap TDTEST to a single with Vicky cristina barcelona as the new double I would suggest moving underworld off the double instead (as the last underworld film only got 37 people on the sunday and 36 on the tuesday show). However Vicky cristina barcelona may do better on a single show pre-exams than a double in the middle of exams.

Pathology is out already it came out last year. I also agree that Bolt would probably do better than Tales of Despereaux.

[quote=“Roberto”]Ooh, I completely agree with Vicky… indeed, that one could well be double material (if we didn’t have so many strong doubles!)
[/quote]

If you feel that there are too many strong films to fit in then I’d suggest keeping a couple back for the first week of the Autumn term - especially if you feel that a single showing during exam season won’t do them justice…

Benjamin Button is too long for a Friday double, so it should stay on Sunday and Tuesday.

I agree. Underworld 3 is pretty poor and Michael Sheen makes it just about bearable. I think Empire also gave it 1 star. In fact if we need to cut films from our schedule, then that should probably be one of the candidates for the chop.

Yeah Empire did give it 1 star:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?FID=135681

I’m don’t think I agree about dropping Underworld 3 (at least not completely). While it may well be on of the weakest films on the schedule quality wise I don’t think it’s likely to be the weakest audience wise (after all the 250 people who came to see saw 5 didn’t seem to care that it was crap). Underworld 3 would suit the middle of exams too as I think its good to put something fairly mindless in there.

If we have to, I agree we could drop it but I’d drop Punisher, The Tale of Despereaux and maybe a couple of the foreign films first.

REC did quite well though (over a 100 people) so I’m not sure the subtitles really put that many people off. Quarantine hasn’t exactly had great reviews either so, even if we hadn’t effectively shown it before, I can’t see it drawing in large numbers of people.

Pathology seems like a reasonable option. Alternatively, I’d suggest going with an old horror film (like Ringu this term), a recent film we missed (like The Mist or Funny Games) or moving something like Lakeview Terrace to a midnight.

My thanks to everyone who came to the PM, I think it was an amazing success. The online schedule has been updated following discussion at the PM.

Please look through the schedule, and let me know of any problems. If nobody finds any problems in the next few days, I’ll take the schedule to the next stage.

Thanks again