Schedule update:

Unfortunately, the following films are unavailable for us to show:

Independence Day, The Shining, Valkyrie(release date moved)

As such, they will be replaced, with provisional thoughts/aims being:

Team America in for the first screenings of term
Pan’s Labyrinth replacing The Shining
4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days replacing Valkyrie

We’ve also lost Tropic Thunder from the AllNighter, and are looking to replace that with The Forbidden Kingdom.

I tis also possible that we may not be able to get hold of a copy of The Nightmare Before Christmas and if that happens, then we hope to show Elf instead.

Further changes have also been made to the schedule, with singles and doubles being swapped, but these will be notified upon confirmation with the Troys.

Didn’t we show (in a scheduled manner) Pan’s Labyrinth not so long ago? (and it was brilliant, but still…)
As for The Nightmare before Christmas, it got pulled last Christmas as well, didn’t it? If memory serves, it was because of a damaged print, but I might be wrong… Get the 3D version :mrgreen:

Pan’s Labyrinth ties in well with the Orphanage though making them both easier to sell. It also still has enough of a buzz about it to get newbies coming to see it (only 3rd years or older will have seen it at WSC) so it should more than hold its own in a midweek slot.

We think the Nightmare Before Christmas may have been pulled last time because of the 3D release so might be available now. Sadly, I think 3D is beyond us.

I think that it got pulled because of the 3D version! Will have to wait and see if we can have it or not though!

Pan’s Lab has gone in there due to its connections with The Orphanage and the lack of many good foreign language on the provisional schedule.

PS: Damn you George for beating me on that post :!:

I am not quite sure about having Team America as the first free showings. I would prefer something stronger or with more promotional value.

Such as?

[quote=“Klan”]

Such as?[/quote]

Something classic, maybe. Personelly would like to see free showings of pulp fiction, but possibly would attract too many people. The union rebuild is going to be on next academic year, and I think it is our time to stand out.

So the allnighter line-up at the moment is
Hulk
Forbidden kingdom
Se7en
Wall-e

right? Looks good.

[quote=“Jeffrey”]So the allnighter line-up at the moment is
Hulk
Forbidden kingdom
Se7en
Wall-e

right? Looks good.[/quote]

Thats right (although probably not in that order).

Pulp Fiction is already on the schedule as a normal screening. We went with Team America because it is a big studenty sort of film (hence should get people in even though its not particularly new) . I think its also a bit of fun for the first weekend at Warwick when people are probably looking for something like that rather than anything too serious.

[quote=“Jeffrey”]

So the allnighter line-up at the moment is
Hulk
Forbidden kingdom
Se7en
Wall-e

right? Looks good.[/quote]

Seconded! I think I’m going to have an amazing first Allnighter!

I reckon Speed Racer could be a double, as could The Happening.

Yeah the allnighter does look strong, i’d go just to see wall-e :stuck_out_tongue:

Since we’re pulling the shining, why don’t we replace it with something classic like silence of the lambs - I know everyones seen it, but it’d be good at the cinema.

Another idea for a foreign film, how about the delicatessen? I really liked this when i saw it last, but that was ages, and it hasn’t been on tv for a while either

Otherwise, the second Asterix (mission Cleopatra) in the franchise is awesome, has not been shown yet, and does not depend on watching the first one. How’s that for a foreign film?

Ooooh, so many thoughts. If memory serves, Nightmare before Xmas was pulled because they were releasing it in 3D, so that shouldn’t be such a problem, but it may not be uber-easy to locate.

I am a bit worried that we seem to be throwing the 3 year rule out of the window slightly, with Pans Labyrinth and Pulp Fiction and Team America being re-shown within that time limit for no particularly special reason; I know they have done well in the past , and are therefore potentially ‘safe’, but I think it would be nice for us to be a little more adventurous - perhaps using Tom’s suggestion of Delicatessen, which is fairly well known and we haven’t shown recently. There are so many films out there, foreign, artistic, and mainstream, that I find it hard to believe we are being forced into showing a limited number again and again and again.

And Pierre, Speed Racer on a double? It’s one of the biggest flops so far this year, isn’t it?

R x

[quote=“Beautiful_Creep”]
And Pierre, Speed Racer on a double? It’s one of the biggest flops so far this year, isn’t it?[/quote]

Meh. Blame it on George not being on the PR team of Speed Racer…
I do believe it could do well - the trailer is as colourful and action-packed as… Stormbreaker!

[quote=“Mathendacil”]Meh. Blame it on George not being on the PR team of Speed Racer…
I do believe it could do well - the trailer is as colourful and action-packed as… Stormbreaker![/quote]

It was actually quite watchable. I don’t think it could manage a double though, just a slightly weak single.

P.S. Congrats for 200 post Pierre.

By ‘Hulk’ do you mean ‘Hulk’ or ‘Hulk 2’? And in any case are you sure it’s a good idea? When we showed ‘Hulk’ the first time it attracted an audience of 10 people and took a whole £2.80 in ticket sales. I’m fairly sure more associates (as we were called back then) than punters turned up (and most of us went to the bar instead of watching the film).

Also, on the topic of the ‘three year rule’ - filmsoc has regularly broken the mythical ‘three year rule’ which, as far as I can tell, was simply a device made up by certain members for articulating their desire not to repeat films too often. Ultimately our audience contains a lot of first years who won’t know or care if films were shown in previous years. If particular films are likely to attract big audiences or if they fit with a particular theme then it is probably worth showing them again and breaking the so-called ‘rule’, as long as we only do it with one or two out of the fifty or so films each term. Having said that, if people want to suggest films with similar or better appeal as an alternative then I would be inclined to go with them instead.

Okay everyone - the Autumn schedule has been updated on the website, as per Rob’s message above.

It seems really strong now, and I’m sure it’ll kick off a great year for us.

I’ve sent the updated list off to the Troys, and will get back to you with anything that we need to chat about (prints that are unavailable etc).

Its the new Hulk film.I think it should be ok in the AllNighter. It looks a lot better than the last one and stars Edward Norton so it should do a lot better than last time. Worst case scenario, we can always open with WALLE instead.

Hey peeps, the schedule is now as up to date as it can be at the moment. There have been several changes including the incorporation of many of the comments in the other thread, such as addressing the lack of foreign films.

I’ve just re-checked my weeks for titles and was pretty surprised to see 27 Dresses on a double and the Spiderwick Chronicles moved to a single. Although 27 Dresses did better at the box office that Spiderwick Chronicles, all reviews (including the IMDB rating) suggest Spiderwick is the better film …

We moved it because of the success of films like P.S. I Love You and the like. It was rubbish but did quite well. There was also concern that Spiderwick just wasn’t going to draw in the crowds.