Sequels

I was watching The Magnificent Seven Ride (the fourth in the series) a couple of nights ago and was surprised to find that I enjoyed it far more than the original (admittedly that’s not too difficult as I didn’t really rate the first one). I was wondering though what film franchises there have been where the sequel is better than the original.

A couple of suggestions:
[list]-The Harry Potter films (which seem to be improving as they go along)

-Batman Begins compared to the Dark Knight (both excellent but the second one more so I think)
[/list]
What do you think? Any other suggestions?

[size=9]And Pierre if you suggest Die Hard I’ll drop you off Nakatomi Plaza myself![/size]

The Empire Strikes Back vs A New Hope. Also Episodes 1 to 3 get better as they go along (still abysmal though and technically prequels).

LOTR.

Aliens vs Alien. Then again they are completely different beasts.

To be fair there are probably quite a few films where the sequel is better but there are so many piss poor additions to franchises that it is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Oh and of course T2 vs T1.

[size=9]I actually prefer Batman Begins to The Dark Knight but they are two of my fave films so no loss.[/size]

It’s very close between The Godfather and The Godfather: Part II.

[quote=“George”]
[size=9]And Pierre if you suggest Die Hard[/size] I’ll drop you off Nakatomi Plaza myself![/quote]

Funny you should say that - I just watched Die Hard 2 this morning and really liked it.
I’ll suggest Narnia and Spiderman.

If you mean Spiderman 3 I think that might be punishable by death by Nakatomi Plaza too.

It was the 3rd film. In my mind Spidey 3 > Spidey 2 > Spidey 1.
Similarly, Madagascar 2 was better than the first film.
I would mention the Star Trek franchise… but then I have only seen XI.

You are just trying to be controversial now aren’t you Pierre?

I also think that Once Upon A Time in Mexico is better than Desperado.

I think The Bourne Ultimatum is the best of the trilogy.