Spider-man 4

Here’s the first photo of the new-look Spidey. They’re clearly trying to make it slightly distinguishable from the previous design, but not so far from the genuine article that it upsets fanboys.

On a related note, the Spider-Man musical opened for previews on Tuesday with its ridiculous name ‘Turn Off the Dark’ and music by Bono and The Edge of U2.

After a string of very poor reviews, cast injuries, and rewrites, the musical has finally opened - and it’s got Bill Clinton’s seal of approval!
Skip to 1:51 for a notorious musical excerpt that probably sums the whole farce up.

There’s now a trailler for The Amazing Spider-man online:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31519

It looks like it’ll make a good computer game, not so sure about it as a film. :s

[quote=‘George’ pid=‘32783’ dateline=‘1311175836’]
It looks like it’ll make a good computer game, not so sure about it as a film. :s[/quote]

Agreed - that sequence at the end reminded me of that glorious section of Doom :smiley:

It did look blatantly CGI though, almost tacky by today’s standards.

The sequel is already scheduled for release. :shock

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31697

A new not-so-cgi trailer has been released:

Saw the film recently and quite liked it. I thought it better than any of the originals.

Spider-man 2 is still my favourite. The Amazing Spider-man was quite fun but large sections of it were very similar to the original Spider-man. Some of those bits were done better and some worse. Not really sure that it says anything positive about the current state of Hollywood that they can remake the same summer blockbuster a decade later (should we expect to see this story again in another ten years :s ).

Alex Garfield was really good though.

Andrew Garfield :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree, some bits were done better, some worse. Overall though I preferred this one - it may well have been the lead that swung it for me.

I would say that I did prefer this one; it many respects it kept much closer to the comic book cannon than the original trilogy which just picked up villains at random without looking at the villain’s bio or CV! In part my enjoyment for this one is partially down to myself being much older than when I saw the others and so can more fully appreciate it! Andrew Garfield was very good as the awkward teenager, in that I wanted to shout at him at times just to man up, but I saw it with a girl who could only spend about 5 minutes without commenting on how hot he was :stuck_out_tongue: What did disappoint for me was the post-credits scene which was irritatingly vague for a marvel production I think that having now rebooted the film series I can see how they could much more easily integrate this new Spiderman character into the Marvel film cannon and style, much more so than Tobey Maguire’s interpretation. The only thing I curious about is how closely they’re going to follow cannon when it comes to Gwen Stacey - in every marvel cannon she dies off in some fashion, primarily down to spiderman, (the first time actually marking the end of the silver age of comics) so I will be disappointed one way or another as I like Stone and her rapport with Garfield but I also enjoy the ability of a film to keep to its origins.

Either way I give this film a solid 8 (losing a point for using a mobile phone in a sewer and some of the exceptionally cheesey moments!)

Sadly I’m not sure that we will see any further integration with the other Marvel based movies. Unlike Thor/Captain America/etc, the cinematic rights to Spider-man are held by Sony. I’ve heard (although haven’t seen anything concrete to confirm it) that the Spider-man film was made now so as to avoid losing those rights.

I’d agree with giving it an 8 for acting/production/etc but would give it a 0 for imagination (actually make that a 1 in case I need the 0 should I ever watch the [Rec] remake).