Spring Schedule 23/24 Draft I

Anon.

Question: I think there was a bit of tension between “ugh, Oldboy again, can’t we do one of the other Vengeance trilogy films, please I beg you can we have something different on?” and “but I like Oldboy” and also some “how do we fill all these doubles?!” – thoughts on doing the whole trilogy as an “an evening of” sort of thing where it starts at 6 and is done by the time a long-ish double would be?

I’ve not seen any of them so I’ve no emotional attachment to the idea or even really understanding if it’s any good, but they’re cheap films that aren’t massively long and idk, I quite like the ‘trilogy’ format (in taps mic THE GLORY DAYS OF THE YEAR TWO THOUSAND AND NINETEEN we did a Ghibli trilogy and the Bridget Jones trilogy and both were cute) in a way that I’ve never been massively sold on double features. I’m wary there’s a consensus that we don’t need more “bleak and violent” (to quote Wikipedia) but idk, how do people feel if it’s still only occupying one slot?

1 Like

id certainly back ‘an evening of’ style thing a la Anderson last year. it would make for a great ‘other side of the a5 for the allnighter’ from a pub perspective and gives us another ‘event’ type thing alongside the allnighter aswell. I’m not familiar with those films so if somebody with More Knowledge could have some opinions on how ‘small marathon-able’ they are that would be slay.

I think they are small-marathonable but might be too bleak and violent (in a fun way though?) - lowkey would back an Alternative Evening of Anderson with different options but Vengeance trilogy is more unique and I think would do well

also! I forgot to say - idk if it’s ever been suggested but continuing my theme of ‘I wanted to see this’ - is it possible to get Shiva Baby? ik its very short but its got bestie Sennott in it and I want to see it and not pay :))))))

2 Likes

I back Shiva Baby hard (and now’s my chance to brag that I saw it in the cinema on the one day it was in cinemas) - it’s getting loads of hype again because bottoms so think it would be good

1 Like

evening of It girls :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: - Jennifers body, shiva baby and idk something else ahah
(this is smol joke)

1 Like

Literally just had a seminar on The 'It" Girl

You say it’s a small joke but that actually sounds great- I can attest to programming Jennifer’s Body and it doing well

2 Likes

im happy to do an article tie in too - whether blog or in the booklet. Current plan is to have a pride related article and maybe a IWD/ women in cinema related one (this isn’t fully relevant now but just signposting it as part of how we can advertise). Even if we don’t go ahead with ‘an evening of’ per say, adding those sorts of films/ ones similar to some of my suggestions in the meeting could tie into the wider diversity of the schedule, esp with IWD and women’s history month. other thoughts on this are appreciated tho I am spitballing during a seminar rn and I don’t want to be the only voice for The Women tm.

1 Like

Could we actually make this work for IWD maybe? Like maybe one of the ways of fixing the “what do people want from IWD?” impasse is to have a range of vibes or even if they are all ‘just’ “films with women in” or “films that happen to be by women”, idk, maybe the vibe of properly creating an event with love and having space to set out Why is better than looking to people who weren’t in the room like we plonked Lady Bird on because we thought “that’ll do”? (I’m thinking specifically of the vibes of the BFI “Be Gay Do Crime” season)

2 Likes

This sounds good - as it’s a double slot anyway I think it makes sense as a concept. a Quick Look on the IWD website says their theme for 2024 is ‘inclusion’ so I agree the range of vibes is important - if we can get ones with women on the production/writing/ direction aswell and not just White Woman films dir. by A Man that seems like potentially an important part of it.

2 Likes

Back this hard (and as a man my opinion is clearly so important here), ofc – fwiw Jennfier’s Body and Shiva Baby are both written and directed by women, as ofc are Bend it like Beckham and Lady Bird from what we were discussing before.

2 Likes

this sounds promising! :star_struck:

Although let’s make sure we don’t put all the films about women on one night!

1 Like

Also given Pride screenings more thought - Dog Day Afternoon probs shouldn’t be in the pride month although I still back at as a separate screening

Suggestions for pride season stuff - cheeky google and some verrryy surface level research provided this (tried to find ones about women/ wlw relationships)

• Rafiki (2018) - a random google reviewer said it’s not all doom and gloom? women in Kenya, politics
  • Pariah (2011) - drama, LGBTQ+ Director
  • Hearts Beat Loud (2018) - google says this is cheery and uplifting!
  • Set It Off (1996) - women doing crimes! yay!

Again, ive watched NONE of these, really don’t know too much about them and am not surgically attached to them. I’m also definitely NOT the port of call for suggestions/ opinions on the topic, but just trying to provide some more potential options so we can get a range. And again, echoing what many of us have said, doesn’t all have to be squeezed into these 4 slots.

Oooooh not really relevant to the “overly shiny bright and happy” discussion (although at least it’s not Unrelentingly Bleak!) but just because I love it and idk I guess bc Todd Haynes (ALWAYS have to google this bc I mistake him for Todd Phillips :slight_smile:) has May December out, Carol! It’s got a beautiful 35mm print and everything! And, (gasp!) TWO women!

(Also, 120 BPM but that is Bleak)

2 Likes

yes! I thought this too then simply Forgot! I think aswell it could serve the purpose of a recognisable title that could draw ppl in? Correct me if im wrong though!

I’ve seen Rafiki and it’s very good, still bleak but with a happier tone overall (plus we rarely show any African cinema!)

2 Likes