Spring Term 2014 Schedule

[attachment=20]http://www.filmsoc.warwick.ac.uk/forum/attachment.php?aid=20
Hi all,
The preliminary schedule for the Spring Term 2014 (based on the collaborative programming meeting and Arts Centre consultation).
[hr]
As a note: Beige are ‘related films’, bold are special events - e.g. AllNighters or collaborations.

Note the two semi-AllNighters. The Nolan AllNighter will be Memento, The Dark Knight, Inception & The Prestige

[list]
*]What is on the reserve list?

*]What will be the sponsored event?

*]For continuity and variety, I wonder whether Aliens should be the 70-mm film. Die Hard was last shown in Spring 2012, whereas Aliens has not been shown since Autumn 2009. And since Alien is free for members this term, we could make Aliens a free-for-members film next term.

*]It seems odd to me to schedule Groundhog Day on the day after Groundhog Day.
[/list]

I was going to suggest The Secret Life of Walter Mitty as sponsored.

I’ll post the reserve list later

I think Die Hard will do better and is a better film esp. as this is supposedly our last 70mm (?)

It was a subtle joke that you can repeat groundhog day at filmsoc by coming along on the Monday :stuck_out_tongue:

A quick look at the lengths says these both have run-times of a little over 9 hours. Is the intention to start the nights later on, such as 9 in the evening or so? You don’t really want them finishing before 7 or so in the morning.

Aliens did 88 last time; in the same term (Autumn 2009), Die Hard did 94. So there’s not much between them, but we have shown Die Hard since.

Your Groundhog Day plan was obviously too clever for me!

As the schedule stands I plan to see The Green Mile, Carrie, Spirited Away, Groundhog Day, The Wicker Man, The Act of Killing, Anchorman, Silver Linings Playbook, Battle Royale, A Nightmare on Elm Street, possibly see Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, The Visitor, Die Hard, (500) Days of Summer, Blue is the Warmest Color, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues and if I do not see them elsewhere then Captain Phillips, Gravity, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

I was wondering if Jagten [The Hunt] had been considered (even if just as a reserve for the foreign films) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106476/. I don’t believe it was shown last year.

Anyway, pleased to see a lot of great films.

A few quick thoughts:

I think oldboy could be double material whereas I don’t think fifth estate is (could take some reshuffling to sort that out)

I reiterate my normal point that it’s nice to include something from before 1970 for variety.

If we can’t get the lord of the rings allnighter I’d replace it with a normal screening rather than a weaker trilogy.

If this is meant to be the last 70mm I wouldn’t worry too much about repetition and just show what we want to (I am biassed though since I’m obviously a big fan of die hard)

Looking at some of the awards contenders I’m a bit concerned that we missed out Philomena and Nebraska.

Philomena will probably do very well at the bafta awards and Nebraska is the latest Alexander Payne film (sideways, descendants) so will probably pick up some Oscar nominations.

I personally would make space for them on the schedule but I think they should be top of the reserves at least

[attachment=21]http://www.filmsoc.warwick.ac.uk/forum/attachment.php?aid=21

Updated Schedule.

Also Sunday screenings are to be singles only now (based on Exec discussion taking into account crew numbers and issues with staffing this term).
[hr]
Reserve list is (in no particular order):
Philomena, Nebraska, Only God Forgive, Last Vegas

Aw shame we lost Battle Royale.