The Rum Diary

The Rum Diary will be coming out at some point in 2010, and I don’t mean to get all sentimental about it, but it’s gonna be the first ‘gonzo’ film that will be released that Hunter S. Thompson won’t be alive for and frankly, that’s a big fucking deal!

I think we should prepare for this with a screening of Fear and Loathing - I know I’ve been cut down before for suggesting this on the basis that it didn’t do as well as we hoped that one crappy Tuesday way back in 2006 but it could totally do a double! It’s one of those films which gathers popularity and it will be nice to put Fear and Loathing and The Rum Diary close together so that we can see how Mr Withnail and I (Bruce Robinson) stacks up next to Mr Monty Python (Terry Gilliam). And even if it didn’t do spectacularly well, we now have an excuse (and a duty!) to show it that nobody can complain about, even folk that moan about the classics quota, because it’s still adhearing to the three year rule. And fair eough, the Deppster isn’t as good as Bill Murray at being Hunter, but he can reel in an alright audience. I just wanna get in early with this - it’s very important. Every ‘narcotics agent’ and stammering insaniac on campus will scuttle out of the woodwork for this - and that’s a demographic not to be sneezed at!

I personally can’t watch Fear and Loathing without feeling physically sick… but it’s a personal view, and your point stands. I say if there’s some space on the schedule put it in!

Could we get that on the publicity?