Week 9 Vote

The penultimate vote of term. Which film will win this week?

This week is difficult to predict.

does this mean that we’re dignifying week 10 with a vote of its own, whilst week 7 only got one vote in spite of including an allnighter?!

yes

Now now George, if we’re going to boost our post counts, then we may as well do so in a manner befitting of it :-p

By my reckoning, ‘The List’ so far consists of:

Team America, Pulp Fiction, Run Lola Run, The Dark Knight, Pan’s Labyrinth, Iron Man, Schindler’s List and Wanted.

Those selections have come at the expense of such “greats” as:

Indiana Jones IV, Sex & the City, 21, Hancock, Edward Scissorhands, Kung Fu Panda, Wall-E and Sin City, some of which are definitely stronger candidates overall.

What will win? Let us all wait and see!

Pfft. George is in L3 watching Get Smart so he can’t really answer (though he didn’t see me come in, that’s shoddy work that is)
Anyhoo, for this week, well, I’d like to vote for The Oxford Murders, but I haven’t seen it :evil: so it’ll be Caspian!

You are so right but hold the phone one sec… Sex & the City. :shock: :? :shock: That isn’t in the same ball park as Edward Scissor Hands; it ain’t the same league, it ain’t even the same sport.

Ok, so i’ll grant you that one, but it’s still a film that did well at the box office overall… ($152,637,269 (USA), £26,232,557 (UK), >€10,000,000 (Fra/Ger/Ita)), so must be considered.

After all, Indy IV wasn’t exactly a classic either, as it?!

Where is Melon! Women everywhere love Sex and the City. It’s glamorous and grotty in equal measures. Its educational and its observant and the film is just to round off. There’s a reason it did well. Don’t rip it just cos your not part of its demographic.

Sex & the City did not do that well here at least. In terms of viewing figures that is.

Though I haven’t seen the film, I’ve read that it’s quite different from (and inferior to) the series, so I can’t see the appeal even for the members of its demographic (apart from the cast, I suppose).

As for the films, I had a hard time choosing between Hellboy and [REC]. Hellboy didn’t seem to fit in with del Toro’s previous filmography (looking forward to The Hobbit btw!), however I think it was a big plus that the film didn’t take itself too seriously. I really enjoyed [REC] and it was definitely a uniqe cinematic experience (though the hand-held camera concept is hardly new). Then again, I’m a bit partial towards the whole zombie-horror genre anyway.

I think [REC] suffered a bit because of the delay it took to get to the UK market. The hand held style was new back when it was first released in Spain (Nov 07). Cloverfield and Diary of the Dead weren’t released until a few months after that but still managed earlier UK release dates.

[quote=“George”]

I think [REC] suffered a bit because of the delay it took to get to the UK market. The hand held style was new back when it was first released in Spain (Nov 07). Cloverfield and Diary of the Dead weren’t released until a few months after that but still managed earlier UK release dates.[/quote]

The hand held camera is much older than that remember the blair witch project.

I suppose so. I would stick my neck out and say that apart from Blair Witch there were no older hand held camera horror films (good ones at least). However, this thread would probably turn into a “What have the Romans done for us…” Monty Python sketch. :?

I feel a little safer in claiming that [REC] was at the front of a recent wave of hand held horror films.