Zavvi is back

Well… the website is selling stuff again, I only just noticed. Seemingly it is thanks to a rebuy by the Hut group :slight_smile:

Apologies Pierre, I had to correct your post as you’d used comma instead of full stops, so the linkage wouldn’t work :frowning:

They sent out an email about two weeks ago with relation to the website - seems like a sensible way to go, if they keep the web side going. That said, I usually found one of play or hmv to be cheapest on any item i looked for, so it won’t make that much difference.

On a similar note, I saw a fully operational Fopp store in Edinburgh - seemed pretty busy too.

[quote=“Roberto”]
On a similar note, I saw a fully operational Fopp store in Edinburgh - seemed pretty busy too.[/quote]

I saw one in London too. Recession will be beaten, hopefully thanks to Robbie the Reel… where is he anyway?

[quote=“Mathendacil”]

[quote=“Roberto”]
On a similar note, I saw a fully operational Fopp store in Edinburgh - seemed pretty busy too.[/quote]

I saw one in London too. Recession will be beaten, hopefully thanks to Robbie the Reel… where is he anyway?[/quote]

That’s a good point actually - i’d heard that thee were big things coming our way from him, but he appears to have been on borrowed time and is now struggling to survive - much like a certain Prime Minister :twisted:

Careful, they might use the Terrorism Act to silence you!

HMV bought the Fopp brand and revived six of its stores in July 2007:

Ah the Mac - will his knowledge of not so current affairs ever cease to amaze?!

[quote=“Klan”]

HMV bought the Fopp brand and revived six of its stores in July 2007:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6923511.stm[/quote]

Something that is not well known - as Fopp advertise themselves as “independent”. Though it does explain the closure of the on-campus Fopp.

there is a fopp store in nottingham…its always busy…

I think the give-away for me was noticing that the price labels on the CDs was the same in Fopp and HMV. HMV only revived some of the Fopp stores anyway. I used to shop in Fopp in Nottingham, but tend not to find it that cheap any more…

But Fopp was never supposed to be about cheap. It was about the more unusual and difficult to find stuff that costed a bomb.

I dunno… that was definitely one of the elements, but i’d say that it had a major tendancy to be cheaper than hmv - much as Zavvi did. I’m now wishing that Branson & Co. hadn’t sold out :!:

I can’t remember how much their normal dvds were but they always used to have some really cheap dvds in their sale section (far better than hmv or the like).

I know they had a £5 section (as well as some slightly cheaper than that) but what they were supposed to be was non-mainstream, selling the really alternative stuff more mainstream shops wouldn’t have.