Zombie Poll

I was just wondering which type of zombies people prefer:

slow zombies (e.g. Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Resident Evil, Resident Evil Apocalypse, Resident Evil: Extinction, Planet Terror, Shaun of the Dead, Braindead, Zombie Diaries)

or

fast zombies (e.g. 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, [REC], I am Legend, Resident Evil: Extinction)

Feel free to add any more zombie films to the list if you can think of any.

In the remake of Dawn of the Dead (which is surprisingly rather good). The zombies run full pelt. It’s frickin’ awesome.

There’s not much point in slow zombies. You can pretty much outrun them.

On the whole I prefer the slow zombies. They’re scary but in a different way to other monsters. You can out run them but they don’t get tired. You can shoot them but you’ll run out of bullets.

I thought the first Resident Evil did this really well. When they first meet the zombies they’re not too worried and just try to wound them but more and more come until, before you know it, they’re on top of them and they’re all getting killed.

Of course to make it work you need it to happen in a confined space or have some sort of apocalyptic scenario where entire country/ world is full of them.

Mmmm…
Admittedly it is better to build up tension. But they don’t work as well as the fast zombies plotwise. Imagine you’ve got a slow zombie - you still want it to be scary, so it won’t be enough just to run after a means to kill them off, and they would be pretty much resistant to gunshots. So on the whole, slow zombies will have to win, unless a new device is brought about as a deus ex machina sort of thing.
Fast zombies provide for more action. They’re admittedly less creepy, but they work better.

If you have a lot of them it they can be fairly easy to kill and the creepiness still works just because of the sheer numbers. To be honest most horror films seem to end with Zombies winning regardless (happy endings aren’t really in the spirit of the genre).

I should say though that I think fast zombies can be done well too. I like the two 28 days/weeks later films and [REC] is one of my favourite films.

[quote=“George”] To be honest most horror films seem to end with Zombies winning regardless (happy endings aren’t really in the spirit of the genre).
[/quote]

That’s probably why I don’t like them… Always been an optimist! :slight_smile:

Zombies should always be slow. Otherwise, they’re not zombies in the undead sense.

Absolutely :!:

There’s a real issue with fast zombies, in that they’ll end up getting you whatever you do - if you can’t outrun a zombie, then you’re going to die unless you’re in a tank.

I did like the new dawn of the dead a bit though, especially the accident with the chainsaw :slight_smile:

I might have to watch the Dawn of the Dead remake now. I’ve only seen it once and I remember it being entertaining if a bit silly.