Autumn term 2010 suggestions!

Hi folks,

I know I’m getting in there early, but we’re now taking suggestions for what you’d like to see on the schedule in the first term of next year.

To vote for a film you’d like to see or suggest a new film, please visit the suggestions page.

If you want to make a case for an unusual entry, then here’s the place to make it and convince us :wink:

The Programming Meeting to determine the final schedule will take place within the first few weeks of the summer term. As we approach that time, I’ll create a draft schedule based on the votes which can then be discussed here.

In the meantime, get voting! :smiley:

I’m not saying don’t put Goodfellas on the schedule, but last time it came, it had the ends of every reel lopped off (Gareth was quite annoyed at entire shots missing) and a kajillion splices, used about a can of IPA, had home made cue dots (many sets of awkward ones) way too high on soft masked film (which meant that we had to rack the film low in preparation), on acetate and in dolby A/mono (we had to keep switching betwixt the two because the proj in the audience said it sounded horrible, despite the fact that we did a sound test before the film to decide). I just wanted to put that out there. And I’m going back two years, so it may have further deteriorated…

Those are all negative points. It is freekin’ awesome though! Just needs much love. 8)

I know you’ve heard this a million times already but I’d like to push Once Upon a Time in the West- the most badass Western ever! Another (anime) classic would be Akira which would draw the attendance of the Anime and Manga society.

A few suggestions:

[Rec 2]
I think the original was one of the best horror films in the last few years. From what I’ve heard the sequel (out on the 28th May) is meant to be good too.

Classics
The old classics didn’t do too bad last term. Maybe we should try another. Films like Third Man and Lawrence of Arabia have flopped in the past so I guess it would be best to go for a REALLY big name film like Casablanca, It’s a Wonderful Life, Psycho or North by Northwest.

Pulp Fiction
Here’s my case for Pulp Fiction getting its Friday week 2 slot again:

1. We know it will do well and may well sell out (it sold out in that slot 2 years ago and nearly sold out last year). While I agree that the society isn’t here just to make money, we do need showings with higher takings like this to pay for the midweek screenings. Pulp Fiction is likely be one of the most successful showings of term (it’s been in the top 2 or 3 for the last couple of years).
  2. A big successful screening early in term gets us lots of new members which is important for later on (more people getting the weekly email after all). Last year there were 134 free tickets for new members sold (suggesting a similar number of memberships). That’s more than either the Friday before or after (and one of those was Star Trek).
  3. I personally think having a popular classic film at the end of week 2 emphasises to the new undergrads that we don’t just show the latest blockbusters.
  4. While some of the crew may be bored of it, selling out/nearly selling out for two years in a row suggests that it is what the new undergraduates want to see.
  5. If we show New Moon just to cater to the masses then why not Pulp Fiction…

Pulp Fiction
I don’t think it’s fair to equate Pulp Fiction with New Moon.
It’s also a film that almost no freshers will have been able to see on the big screen, so presents us with a good chance of showing off the advantages of cinema to them- and again advertising us as a society.

I don’t agree with the idea as running it as a cash cow showing, that’s not cool.

George wasn’t really - his first four points explained the counter argument. His fifth point was an example for those who won’t be won over by 1-4.

Um, we do need to make a profit on films. As much as WSC is about fun and doing funky film things, a few bad terms in a row and we could shut down. Just like Southampton did :frowning: Besides, there’s also George’s points 1-4 :!:

[quote=“Roberto”]
Um, we do need to make a profit on films.[/quote]

Deliberately controversial but…

[quote=“Mathendacil”]

I specifically said on films Pierre - upgrading and replacing parts etc isn’t free… stop trying to out-contstitutionalise me :!:

[quote=“Roberto”]

George wasn’t really - his first four points explained the counter argument. His fifth point was an example for those who won’t be won over by 1-4.

Um, we do need to make a profit on films. As much as WSC is about fun and doing funky film things, a few bad terms in a row and we could shut down. Just like Southampton did :frowning: Besides, there’s also George’s points 1-4 :!:[/quote]

I wasn’t going after George’s arguments, and I’m aware how important having enough money to continue is. But, it is one of the argument’s that’s sees to be bought up almost every time we talk about Pulp Fiction. Ultimately the first fortnights films have an impact on how Freshers view the society, and I believe that most of the people in a Pulp Fiction sell-out will have at least some intention of returning to the society. (Especially next year if the chairs are comfortable :stuck_out_tongue: )

Also, there’s the question of whether Pulp Fiction stands up as a film,
to which I think we all know the answer. :smiley:

[quote=“AlexW”]
Also, there’s the question of whether Pulp Fiction stands up as a film,
to which I think we all know the answer. :D[/quote]

High Fiiiiiive!!! :lol:
I’m seriously in favour of showing Pulp Fiction, despite its lack of cinematographic value. If people want to see it, as is obviously the case, we should offer it to them.
On unrelated matters, High School Musical 3 did really well when we showed it. :roll:

Ah Petey, it’s good to have you back :slight_smile: If only we had the technology, we could show this:

And I have refrained from suggesting this so far…

[quote=“Mathendacil”]And I have refrained from suggesting this so far…
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116118/[/quote]

Given the rating, you may be well advised to continue said restraint :mrgreen:

But we’ve showed far less deserving films with much lower ratings.

For example…

True, but that was new at the time.

And (and i’m trying not to lol at this point) since it was new, we didn’t know what it was going to be like :lol:

Psycho will be getting rereleased soon so there should be some new prints around.

You speak the truth, and it’s on my list :slight_smile:

I Am Love (Io sono l’amore), an Italian film starring Tilda Swinton, was released today and has received good reviews from Empire and the quality newspapers.

Duly acknowleged. I’ve already voted for it myself! Thanks, James.

Right then, film lovers, here we go!
Below is the provisional schedule for Autumn 2010 that I’ve been working on based on upcoming releases and votes on the films suggestions webpage:

http://www.filmsoc.warwick.ac.uk/upages/csujba/ProvisionalAutumnSchedule.jpg

The AllNighter line-up presently stands as:
Toy Story 3, Kick-Ass, Jonah Hex, the mystery, South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut, The Truman Show.

By no means is this the final schedule but I’m getting it out there to inspire debate.
If you have constructive comments, please post them here.

The Programming Meeting will hopefully take place on Weds week 3 (12th May) - watch this space for confirmed details!