Schedule Discussion - Autumn 2009

Hey all,

There is now a provisional schedule online for the whole of the autumn term, trying to take into account as many of the suggestions both on these forum pages and the voting pages, as possible, though i’m afraid there were way more suggestions than places available!

I’ve also put in a provisional line-up within the AllNighter pages, and the order that i’d show them in.

Please make any comments here, though please ensure to suggest changes rather than just slate - if you’re berating without making suggestions for alternatives, then you’re not helping!

Looks good overall. My comments as follows:

Wk 1 - out of curiousity, what of these, if any(?!), do you see as free showings?
Wk 3 - I would swap Fast & Furious and Star Trek.
Wk 4 Sat/Wk 8 Sat - Maybe swap the two horror midnighters as perhaps better to have a classic shown on Halloween as scare-seekers might be busy at parties etc, so people wouldn’t miss out on the new one. Although there’s a counter argument with similar points that says the new one can be afforded to be missed and the classic will draw in many more people on another night… Tricky (or treaty …sorry).
Wk 7 Wed - this is sheer opinion, but I think that I Love You, Man looks better than Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, even though I doubt it’s spectacular. Only that I just read a rather okay review of it in this month’s Empire and am quite the Paul Rudd fan. However, duly noted that otherwise the schedule lacks a typical ‘chick flick’.
Wk 8 Wed - glad you included Religulous :smiley:
AllNighter - Like it, except I think Outlander looks rather naff - prob not a big step-up in quality, but how about The Land of the Lost instead?

On a more general note, I would suggest that since there were more suggestions than slots and some of those suggestions are new films, then perhaps remove some classics from the schedule, as currently there are a lot. In attempt to be constructive…
Switch out Brokeback Mountain, Spirited Away and Gone with the Wind for
—> any of FAQ About Time Travel, Dragonball Evolution, The Black Balloon, The Taking of Pelham 123. Just for starter ideas that were on the suggestions list anyways.

Other than that, nice one :slight_smile:

[quote=“OPR”]Looks good overall. My comments as follows:

Wk 1 - out of curiousity, what of these, if any(?!), do you see as free showings?
Wk 3 - I would swap Fast & Furious and Star Trek.
Wk 4 Sat/Wk 8 Sat - Maybe swap the two horror midnighters as perhaps better to have a classic shown on Halloween as scare-seekers might be busy at parties etc, so people wouldn’t miss out on the new one. Although there’s a counter argument with similar points that says the new one can be afforded to be missed and the classic will draw in many more people on another night… Tricky (or treaty …sorry).
Wk 7 Wed - this is sheer opinion, but I think that I Love You, Man looks better than Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, even though I doubt it’s spectacular. Only that I just read a rather okay review of it in this month’s Empire and am quite the Paul Rudd fan. However, duly noted that otherwise the schedule lacks a typical ‘chick flick’.
Wk 8 Wed - glad you included Religulous :slight_smile:
AllNighter - Like it, except I think Outlander looks rather naff - prob not a big step-up in quality, but how about The Land of the Lost instead?

On a more general note, I would suggest that since they were more suggestions than places and some of these are new films, then perhaps remove some classics from the schedule as you have cracked a lot in. In attempt to be constructive…
Switch out Brokeback Mountain, Spirited Away and Gone with the Wind for
—> any of FAQ About Time Travel, Dragonball Evolution, The Black Balloon, The Taking of Pelham 123. Just for starter ideas that were on the suggestions list anyways.[/quote]

The freebies will be up for exec to decide and no doubt there’ll be a few swaps accordingly, though LVK has been so badly reviewed, that i think it could be a good freebie option.

I think Star Trek is a stronger title than F&F, so probably deserves the Friday more on that premise - wish there were a few more artsy films there! What do others think?

Midnighters - i dunno… Exorcist might not have that many prints, so might be a lot easier to get the newer haunting in connecticut?

I agree about the lack of chick flicks - need some suggestions on this front (there weren’t any of merit on the pages thus far!).

Land of the Lost is a possible, but given that Transformers 2 would be the headliner, then a rogen film followed directly by a ferrell would be a bit weird/samey - will need more opinions/discussion.

Cracked in a lot of classics?! :shock: Other than 70mm, there are 6, including a midnighter… Will have to see what other people think, though Black Balloon is a no, due to a lack of UK release. We’ll know how FAQ about time travel is doing within 3 weeks, so can decide then :slight_smile: As for Dragonball Evolution - its IMDb rating says it all :?

I know that American Beauty is your favourite film, Rob, but it was shown at the Spring 2007 AllNighter. My suggestion for a 90s classic to end the AllNighter would be Léon.

The rest of the schedule looks good. I’m particularly pleased with the inclusion of Anvil! The Story of Anvil.

[quote=“Klan”]I know that American Beauty is your favourite film, Rob, but it was shown at the Spring 2007 AllNighter. My suggestion for a 90s classic to end the AllNighter would be Léon.

The rest of the schedule looks good. I’m particularly pleased with the inclusion of Anvil! The Story of Anvil.[/quote]

Fair play James… please can people comment on Léon as the final act? I’ve ammended the AllNighter to that for now :slight_smile:

I know that I love it as a film - just curious as to whether or not people have any other suggestions!

I think Coraline is a great Allnighter choice.

i agree with Vicky, Coraline for the Allnighter. or somewhere else in the schedule. maybe in place of Night at the Museum 2, which looks, well, like a total crock.

…erm, it is in the AllNighter line-up!

I would also like to compliment Coraline’s inclusion in the AllNighter. And methinks Marcus need pay more attention :wink:

As far as Léon goes, I haven’t seen it but it sounds very good.
My only alternative suggestion would be The Sting, which I suspect we can’t get a print anyway…

oh, look, i don’t see these things. i still can’t look at the pdfs of the booklet for next term because it makes my computer cry. i think i might just stop posting things…

I’m confused. Wasn’t there a whole thread elsewhere saying basically

Vikings + aliens + dragons = awesomeness ?

The schedule looks great Rob.

Just a thought for horror films. The Descent part 2 comes outs soon. The first one was good. I’m not sure about whether the second one will be or not but its worth keeping an eye on.

I hate to disagree with my successor but I’d say the schedule was a bit light on classics if anything (there are only 3 films pre 90s after all). It is quite a strong schedule though so maybe any additional classics should just be thought of if there are any cancellations.

[size=9]Also Outlander looks amazing! [/size] :slight_smile:

isn’t sunday a bit too soon to start??

Not at all. There have been many well-attended showings on the first Sunday.

Due to it’s unfortunate enforced withdrawal from the Summer schedule, The Wrestler will need to fit in somewhere, and we’ve also been approached with a society request for The Last King of Scotland, so please keep on giving your thoughts and opinions people :slight_smile:

Something like the Knowing or Good could be dropped to make space. However, I imagine a few films won’t be availible or will get blocked by the Arts Centre so we might end up with spaces anyway.

George, how dare you propose that we get rid of Know1ng?! It’s the highlight of the term, surely?!

If the Scotland collaboration goes ahead, then they will have an impact upon when, but The Wrestler will need to go early on, probably shuffling others around :shock:

I reckon, to make room for The Wrestler:

• Drop Fast and Furious from being a double (I hear it’s not all that special). Move it over Brokeback Mountain or something.
  • Push Boat that Rocked back to Sun wk 3, and fit The Wrestler in where it was (Sun wk2).

Or we could drop pulp fiction since we showed it last year …

I think that LVK, not Fast and Furious should be dropped from double to single. I was going to say to move it over Anvil but saw its imdb rating :shock:
So I suggest to drop Observe and Report. Or Spirited Away considering how high our chances are of getting it? (I might be wrong but I think we have a hard time getting animes).
Or - and this is highly controversial, ubt - move Crank 2 to the AllNighter?