Spring Term 2013 Suggestions

What films would you like Warwick Student Cinema to show in the spring term?

The suggestions page for Spring 2013 is open until 9th October, but feel free to make your suggestions and post links on this thread. See what has been suggested here.

A draft schedule will be posted to this thread in the first week of term. There will be a programming meeting in the third or fourth week of term to approve the schedule.

As a starting topic for discussion, what ten films should comprise a “Best Picture Oscar” season?

Well, firstly, one per decade? Or free reign to pick whatever?

Free rein, but don’t pick anything shown last year.

Well, then, in no particular order:

Casablanca
Platoon
No Country for Old Men
The Godfather
Braveheart
The Deer Hunter
Rocky
Slumdog Millionaire
The King’s Speech
All Quiet on the Western Front

I’d say it’s a pretty fair spread of films, though whether you can actually get the older 2 (Casablanca and All Quiet on the Western Front) I’m not sure.

… the page to see what has been suggested doesn’t work? is the link broken?

Also, when’s the “cut-off release date” for the Spring films? :slight_smile:

It works for me, but can anyone else not see the page?

I’ll say 31st December, but early January is possible. We have to leave enough for the summer term.

It works for me!

Suggestions for Best Picture (trying to avoid classics that we have shown recently):

West Side Story
The Sound of Music
Patton
The French Connection
The Godfather
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Gandhi
Dances With Wolves
The Silence of the Lambs
Gladiator

The Silence of the Lambs was shown last year.

Also, I can only see the page containing suggestions if I’m not signed in. If I try to see them signed it, it crashes.

I’ll get the IT Officer on the case.

Apologies, the problem should be fixed.

Yup, cheers for that.

Bad news for Resident Evil fans: Retribution will be 3D only.

I’m sure all 5 of them will be horrified.

Will Dredd suffer a similar fate? I think there are plans to release it in 2D, but so far I’ve only seen it advertised as being shown in 3D, and it’s a shame if so 'cause it’s a very good movie.

I haven’t checked. The BBFC have classified a 2D version, and information from distributors says that the film is available in digital 2D and 35-mm.

Here’s my top 10 - bit of a mix:

American Beauty [1999]
There Will Be Blood [2007]
No Country for Old Men [2007]
The Departed [2006]
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre [1948]
Groundhog Day [1993]
The Gold Rush [1925]
Full Metal Jacket [1987]
American History X [1998]
Into the Wild [2007]

Disappointing but not too surprising as the last one was 3D only too.

There are more than 5 of us. :evil:

There are some 2D screenings around but not many. It’s a bit annoying as I’d like to see it but not in 3D.

I would love to see Res Ev 5 - alas, i’ll have to wait for the 2D DVD!

My top choices (given omissions due to last year’s season!) for Best Picture winners would be (giving 12, but there’s obviously going to be availability issues!):

Casablanca (1943)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Ben Hur (1959)
The Sound of Music (1965)
The Godfather (1972)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
Rocky (1976)
Platoon (1986)
American Beauty (1999)
Gladiator (2000)
The Departed (2006)
No Country for Old Men (2007)

It was filmed in 3D, and I assume it’s thus the preferred format. I would advise that if you do see it and can, to do so in 3D because I found the 3D really well done and fairly natural considering.

Personally, regardless of how well it is done, I just find 3D really distracting which makes the film less immersive. I’ve had enough films spoiled by it that I now normally just wait for a chance to see it in 2D even if that means seeing it on dvd.