Spring Term Suggestions Page!

Hey all!

With things having just about gotten running it’s time to turn a few thoughts to what you want to see at WSC in the Spring Term Schedule!

There’s a suggestions page where you can vote for films and add new suggestions, as well as the opportunity to put forward a case for a film or too on this suggestions thread.

There’ll also be a programming meeting to confirm the majority of the selections, with this most likely being on Wednesday of Week 4, though confirmation of this will come later :!:

Thought I’d get the ball rolling. These are the films that jumped out at me from IMDBs upcoming releases page (http://www.imdb.com/Recent/UK). I think anything before that should be in the films we could have shown this term thread.

Blockbuster:
Sherlock Holmes (Very late December)
2012 (Makes Michael Bay look restrained)

Action:
Gamer (Seen it. Not quite Crank 2 but still fun)
Harry Brown (Michael Caine’s last leading role. Sound like Deathwish in England. Really looking forward to it.)
Law Abiding Citizen (Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler in vigilante revenge film. Trailer looks good)

SciFi:
Surrogates (Saw it. I enjoyed. Somewhat mixed reviews though)
Pandorum (Sci-Fi horror. Again like Surrogates I enjoyed it but it got mixed reviews)

Animated:
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Up
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Planet 51

Horror:
Saw 6 (Seems to do ok no matter how bad the film is)
Sorority Row (Crap reviews. Probably not worth showing but if we’re desperate…)
Whiteout (Crap reviews. Probably not worth showing but if we’re desperate…)
Halloween II (Crap reviews. Probably not worth showing but if we’re desperate…)
Jennifer’s Body (Crap reviews. The cynical part of me says Megan Fox probably makes it worth showing)

“Comedy”:
The Invention of Lying (Crap reviews. Might still get some people though because of the Gervais factor)
Couples Retreat
Adventureland
Zombieland (Topped the US box office)

Girl stuff:
Fame
The Twilight Saga: New Moon

Drama:
Julie & Julia
Creation
The Soloist

Foreign:
Ong bak 2 (First film was good but know nothing about this)

Classic re-releases:
The Godfather (My all time second favourite film! :smiley: )
Citizen Kane
Toy Story

Other:
This Is It (Michael Jackson film)
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
The Men Who Stare at Goats

All those suggestions are good. I also think:
District 9 (a few people have already asked me when are we showing it!)
Nine (the musical)
Both Mesrine films (maybe as they have been out quite a while)

[quote=“vickyf”]All those suggestions are good. I also think:
District 9 (a few people have already asked me when are we showing it!)
Nine (the musical)[/quote]

And together with 9 we could have a “Nine” week. (The Whole Nine Yards could complete it.)

[quote=“George”]Classic re-releases:
The Godfather (My all time second favourite film! :smiley: )
Citizen Kane
Toy Story[/quote]

You can add Scarface to that list. I think Toy Story has only been re-released in 3D.

Let’s not forget The Hangover! :smiley:

Running with the idea of themed weeks:

As has already been suggested by a couple of people, a ‘9’-themed week idea (surely in week 9?!) featuring:
Nine - Oscar-fuelled meta-musical.
9 - sackboy apocalyptic animation.
9 Souls - don’t know much about this one, but it’s Japanese so fills a weekly foreign language quota. Less importantly, it sounds and scores alright.
The Whole Nine Yards - black comedy starring Matthew Perry and Bruce Willis which has never been shown at WSC despite being pretty darn good.
District 9 - 'nuff said.

We could sell out and buy into the current vampire craze with a whole week of blood-sucking fun:
The Vampire’s Assistant - some new tosh.
Bram Stoker’s Dracula - based on the classic novel with Gary Oldman in the titular role.
From Dusk Till Dawn - Clooney, Tarantino and Keitel fight the Mexican strain in Robert Rodriguez’s take.
Thirst - South Korean recent hit addition to the genre.
Interview with the Vampire - Pitt and Cruise as blood brothers; what more could swoon-y girls want? Oh wait…:
New Moon - …>shudder<

Any alternative film ideas for those themes are welcome. Especially the 9 theme, as it’s a bit tricky to come up with decent stuff.

Maybe with Pulp Fiction’s success we should show Reservoir Dogs (which we haven’t shown for a couple of years) or Jackie Brown (which we haven’t shown in over 10 years).

Also, me and Natalie saw Zombieland yesterday which was a great fun film.

[quote=“George”]Maybe with Pulp Fiction’s success we should show Reservoir Dogs (which we haven’t shown for a couple of years) or Jackie Brown (which we haven’t shown in over 10 years).

Also, me and Natalie saw Zombieland yesterday which was a great fun film.[/quote]

Enough with Tarantino!!!
The Kill double Bill didn’t work that well last year… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Mathendacil”]Enough with Tarantino!!!
The Kill double Bill didn’t work that well last year… :p[/quote]

You can never have too much Tarantino. Never ever.

I have a suggestion for the vampire section. It’s called ‘The Addiction’ and it has Christopher Walken in it. It’s pretty disturbing, there’s a whole playlist here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=205283h2XDE&feature=PlayList&p=0098B1BB581E2AE5&index=6
I think Dusk till Dawn is an AWESOME idea. Thirst looks neat, Interview with a vampire we know is amazingly good. I hated that version of Dracula, I could hardly suffer the beginning of it - how they dare call it Bram Stoker’s Dracula, I do not know. There’s only one proper proper good version to my knowledge and that’s Nosferatu.

[quote=“Mathendacil”]Enough with Tarantino!!!
The Kill double Bill didn’t work that well last year… :p[/quote]

They did about 50 each which is better than most midweek screenings do. Reservoir Dogs did a little under 100 when we last showed it on a normal screening.

I agree with you about Dracula. I found it very disappointing. Nosferatu was far better. It is a 1920s silent film though and I don’t think my faith in Warwick students stretches to thinking it will do well.

I think that a themed week is a good idea, I like both of the suggestions I am not sure whether two themed weeks might be a bit much though. So maybe the 9 week as we would be showing more of those films anyway.

The Box has not been suggested yet. Is 4th December too late a release?

Avatar and Sherlock Holmes are released later than that. I forgot about that film, it does look good.

Just making a few cases for things before the PM:

• Whilst two themed weeks might seem quite a bit, we might have little choice with the amount of total films suggested so far… And besides, we had two themed weeks last Spring term: Spy Week and Death Week. If we had the vampire week as early as possible (depending on New Moon, I guess), then that would set it further apart from week “9”.

• ANCHORMAN! Pleeeeeease? Seems WSC has never shown it, which I imagine is down to snobbery - but heck, it’s a great laugh and is sure to bring the crowds in. Same goes for The Hangover :smiley:

• Go. A witty multi-strand black comedy about drugs, gay cops, and the teenagers of generation X.

• Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Another dark-humoured frolic about murder, this time with Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer. Funny stuff. Also odd that both this and Go are set at Christmas time…

• Moulin Rouge! The classic neo-musical. Hasn’t been shown in a fair while, and it always has a strong following. Failing that, how about Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet? Same deal but not quite as spectacular, spectacular.

• Mystic River. Eastwood-directed drama with Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins. A great grit injection.

• Se7en. We should try and get this onto the AllNighter lineup again since it had to be dropped this time last year. Always a classic.

• The Whole Nine Yards. This post seems to be clarifying my love for black comedies about crime. But hell, this is a good’n: Bruce Willis plays a gangster who moves in next to Matthew Perry as a miserable dentist.

moulin rouge would work well for valentine’s day :slight_smile:

The thought had occurred :slight_smile: Glad I’ve got someone on side!

Come what may, let’s have a proper chick flick for Valentine’s :wink: And I’m all go for Go.
Though why Se7en? Do we really need classics to fill up the schedule? If so, should we put Se7en in reading week?
Finally, what 70 mm are we considering, if any?

Hey all,

The PM will be this Wednesday (28th October) in L3 at 5pm.

I intend to put together a draft schedule from the suggestions pages and forums at some stage tomorrow, so keep an eye out for that :!:

I will also be updating this prior to the PM, so please feel free to make as many comments and suggestions as you can, though please do keep them constructive… if they’re not constructive, then they may not be paid the attention that they would otherwise receive :!:

I know George has already suggested this but I have just seen the trailer for the men who stare at goats and it looks like it is definitely worth showing.