Summer Term 2013 Suggestions

What films would you like Warwick Student Cinema to show in the summer term?

The suggestions page for Summer 2013 is open until 22nd January, but feel free to make your suggestions and post links on this thread. See what has been suggested here. The release cut-off is 12th April.

A draft schedule will be posted to this thread after the suggestions page has closed. There will be a programming meeting on 30th January (Wednesday, Week 4) to approve the schedule.

The most obvious one off the bat is Django Unchained, Tarentino’s latest piece of madness distilled into visual and audio format.

V/H/S is a horror film released in America a while ago, finally getting a release here, might be good for a Midnight showing.

There’s Spielberg’s latest Oscar bait, Lincoln, clearly the inferior counterpart to Abe Lincoln: Vampire Slayer.

A Good Day To Die Hard. I’m not saying anything beyond given the somewhat mediocre back catalog of the director, don’t get your hopes up Fergus.

Possibly Cloud Atlas? Got a somewhat love it or hate it reaction on release, but I admire what they’ve tried with it.

Rounding off for now is Oz: The Great and Powerful, a.k.a. The Evil Dead, Oz-style. This one’s released on March 8th, so probably just inside the lines.

I would like some fairy-tails shown after the enjoyment of Mirror Mirror and Snow White and the Huntsman! The Hansel and Gretel film or Jack and the Giant Slayer are releases in the new year, and I’m sure everybody will want to see them :smiley: . If not, they’re mad :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d very much like to reiterate Tom’s suggestions. I was about to write them myself. They all deserve to be doubles, except perhaps the horror which would make a good Midnight Fright.

Tim’s reminded me I should’ve noted that both Django Unchained and Cloud Atlas are very, very long. Django is about 2hrs 45mins, and Cloud Atlas comes in at a peachy 2hrs 50mins.

A couple of suggestions from me:

Safety Not Guaranteed (trailer) - this has already been suggested on the website but I thought it deserves explaining. Indie comedy about a man who places a classified ad looking for a time travel companion, and the magazine writers (who see him as crazy) looking to interview him.
Currently 91% on RT

Grabbers (trailer) - Aliens invade Irish island; residents must get drunk to survive. The cast includes a few familiar faces and could work well as a Midnighter - this is one of the films I’ve looked forward to the most since seeing the trailer (alongside Iron Sky)!
Currently 83% on RT

Both of these were supposedly released on Boxing Day, but I can’t find much information on them being shown anywhere yet…

I’d like to second both of Andy’s suggestions!

I think of Sam’s suggestions - Jack the Giant Slayer is the more appropriate.

My other suggestions in order of personal preference:

• Warm Bodies
  • Les Miserables
  • Wreck-It Ralph
  • The Impossible
  • Zero Dark Thirty
  • Hitchcock
  • The Croods
  • Last Stand
  • Beautiful Creatures
  • Broken City

The Evil Dead comes in on 19th April, so perhaps a tad late for this schedule.

I’m guessing Rise of the Guardians will have to be next year’s Christmas film then, considering how good it was and that it would be a bit late to fit it into the summer schedule.

I’m terrible working out which new films are going to be decent/popular. Here are a few suggestions which are not new releases but great films.

There Will Be Blood [2007] - last shown: summer 07/08
Highly rated, possibly Paul Thomas Anderson’s best.

No Country for Old Men [2007] - last shown: summer 07/08
Up there with Fargo and The Big Lebowski.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre [1948] - last shown: never
One of the greatest westerns - but often forgotten.

Groundhog Day [1993] - last shown: spring 05/06
Bill Murray’s best - fun as a kid, fun as an adult.

The Gold Rush [1925] - last shown: never
One of Chaplin’s best. Would be great to have another silent film showing. Metropolis was amazing.

Full Metal Jacket [1987] - last shown: summer 98/99
Claims to be “the greatest war film” - not quite, but a good film indeed.

American History X [1998] - last shown: spring 01/02
Popular, safe bet.

The Princess Bride [1987] - last shown: summer 99/00
Something a bit different - has surprisingly wide appeal.

Into the Wild [2007] - last shown: autumn 07/08
Inspiring, AFI’s movie of the year '08.

The Green Mile [1999] - last shown: spring 04/05
From Hanks’ peak era, touching classic.

Princess Bride was last shown as the Mystery Film for the All-Nighter of autumn 11/12, so maybe a bit recent.

As for Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Gold Rush, though, I’m not entirely convinced those will in print/have existing copies available, given how old both are.

Ah thanks, yes agree too soon. I didn’t notice that Princess Bride screening- I guess as it was the mystery film it isn’t listed as a screening?

Yeah, suspect that’s probably the case with the older films, but always hopeful! Out of interest, is there any way of checking (as an individual) what’s available in print in the UK?

Hi Nat, alas not, no (lest not that we know of!) - one of the main reasons for losing films from the schedule after we’ve settled on it is that our booking agents come back informing us that there isn’t a copy available.

Unfortunately, it’s unlikely that many classics (used in the very loose form of: “not new releases”) will make it into the summer schedule, as there will be considerably fewer slots available to fill - see previous summer schedules for further info - though I’d be keen to see several on a filmsoc schedule, perhaps in autumn?

The Princess Bride was indeed a mystery screening - one that did very well popularity wise, if I recall correctly!

Thanks for the info. Interesting to know. I feel spoilt for choice this term with regards to classics so have no complaints :slight_smile: I always enjoy the suggestions period, if only for the process of coming up with suggestions and seeing what others suggest.

Out of interest, we have shown it before back in 1979 (it predates the online schedules). I really like the film but, unfortunately, it has been largely forgotten so it’s hard to see anyone coming.

These sorts of films have more availibility than you might think (they’ve never seemed much worse than the 60s or 70s). They get re-released relatively often and places like the BFI can hold onto a print to look after.

I agree with Rob though that the Summer schedule isn’t the best place for classics since we’ll be going with a reduced schedule (although I’ve highlighted a few re-releases that are coming out soon anyway). I think the Spring schedule is normally the best place to show larger numbers of classics. The Autumn schedule has a lot of new releases to choose between and there’s normally a fair number of foreign films to put on then too so we normally only manage to fit a few classics in then.

Here are my suggestions. I’ve ordered it from those best suiting a double screening to the ones that probably don’t:

Django Unchained: The latest Tarantino film
Lincoln: Spielberg’s historical film. Big Oscar contender.
Zero Dark Thirty: Katherine Bigelow’s film about the hunt for Osama Bin Laden. Big Oscar contender.
Les Misérables: Musical. Big Oscar contender.
Gangster Squad: Gangster film with Ryan Gosling and Sean Penn.
A Good Day to Die Hard: The latest Die Hard film.
Carrie: Remake of the classic horror film.
Jack Reacher: Tom Cruise thriller. I found it pretty entertaining.
Hitchcock: Hitchcock biopic starring Anthony Hopkins
Oz: The Great and Powerful: A Sam Rami fantasy film
The Host: Adaptation of another book by the woman that wrote Twilight.
Cloud Atlas: Wachowski brothers adaptation of the book starring Tom Hanks and Halle Berry
I Give It a Year: A British comedy. It’s being trailered quite a bit.
This Is 40: Semi-sequel to Knocked Up
The Impossible: Drama about a family separated in the Tsunami
Flight: Denzel Washington’s portrayal of a plot has been highly praised by critics
Wreck-It Ralph: Animated film about a computer game villain that wants to be good
The Last Stand: Schwarzenegger’s first solo action film since his return
Quartet: Dustin Hoffman’s directorial debut. A comedy in an old people’s home.
G.I. Joe: Retaliation: G.I.Joe sequel with the Rock and Bruce Willis

Re-releases:
Monsters, Inc.
Moulin Rouge!
Romeo + Juliet
Finding Nemo

I know that this is ultimately an Exec decision but is there going to be any discussion of the outdoor screening? Personally I’d like to see us try something a little different to an animated film…

Of course. Keep an eye out for a thread.

With regards to Carrie, I’ve read that the release date seems to have been pushed back to October, so it’d have to be the Spring for that one.

In fact, it’s now 29th November.

Having now seen Grabbers (oddly, it appears to have been released on DVD around the same time it was released in cinemas, since I bought it at Tesco’s a week after its Boxing Day cinematic opening), I can say it’s a relatively decent horror and a better comedy, and would probably do for a Midnight were films short.

The Guard was still a funnier Irish cop comedy though.

The programming meeting will be held on 30th January (Wednesday, Week 4) at 7:00 pm in L3. It will be based around the draft programme below. I have included release dates and running times where known. As always, constructive comments to this thread are welcome beforehand.

http://www.filmsoc.warwick.ac.uk/include/image.php?rt=gallery&id=2034&maxwidth=800&maxheight=800

Annoying, I can’t be at the programming meeting due to an ill-timed seminar.

Is there a list of the reserves available?

EDIT: I approve of the Tarantino mini-season.

EDIT 2: I would’ve said Wreck-It Ralph was more deserving of a double than Broken City.

Need the programming meeting be held so late?