Summer Term Suggestions!

I wouldn’t watch either of them but I wouldn’t disagree with switching either of them onto a double in place of the Road.

While I don’t doubt that either of those films could perform better as a double, I think that the decreased emphasis on The Road could unduly hurt its performance. And that would be a dreadful shame if it was done for the Morgans. :stuck_out_tongue:

I saw The Edge of Darkness yesterday. Plot was a bit so-so at times but Mel Gibson was really good in it.

Also, just to mention something Owen brought up on the oscars thread, several oscar nominated films are currently missing:
A Single Man
Crazy Heart (no UK release date in IMDB)
Precious (I’ve heard this be tipped to win the best actress oscar)

It’s strange, I noticed that too, but it’s listed as Feb 19th in the latest Empire. Strange that a quick Google search comes up with nothing confirmed though…

And yeah, Precious and A Single Man could do well with Oscar hype, but it’s hard to say since neither of them got ANY votes on the suggestions page!
My bad for not noticing The Last Station had slipped in there :oops:

I think that maybe either Precious and/or a Single Man should go in the schedule and maybe instead of the Last Station, I know it has had a few nominations but I haven’t heard anything great about it. I have heard far better things about the other two, I haven’t seen any of them though.

I’ll respond to those one by one:

(Empire has it down as 5th March)

This got a total of zero votes on our suggestions page (correct at time of typing!), so i’m not sure if/that Warwick students are that fussed. Maybe we could keep it back for pride week next autumn?

I like George’s insider info :wink: Again this one got no votes, and when I mentioned it earlier in the thread, nobody responded, hence its omission :!:

All can be debated tomorrow at five though :slight_smile:

[quote=“Roberto”]

This got a total of zero votes on our suggestions page (correct at time of typing!), so i’m not sure if/that Warwick students are that fussed. Maybe we could keep it back for pride week next autumn?

I like George’s insider info :wink: Again this one got no votes, [/quote]

I have some scepticism about paying too much attention to the votes pages though. With films like these they won’t have many votes because not many people will have heard much about them. Post oscars though they’ll probably get quite a boost from all the publicity and may do well. Plus, it’ll look quite bad if we aren’t showing a lot of the big oscar winners this summer…

[quote=“George”]
I have some scepticism about paying too much attention to the votes pages though. With films like these they won’t have many votes because not many people will have heard much about them. Post oscars though they’ll probably get quite a boost from all the publicity and may do well. Plus, it’ll look quite bad if we aren’t showing a lot of the big oscar winners this summer…[/quote]

But George, we needn’t show small films like these, after all, we didn’t show the medium-sized Return of the King, did we :?: :!:

This is what I’m uncertain about - it could go either way, and we could end up missing out big time.
But as Rob says, we can thrash it out tomorrow at 5 :smiley:

I guess we’ll be struggling to leave as many oscars off our schedule as we did that year. :slight_smile:

This is a very last minute request but can I suggest an old classic film for the sake of variety?

Sergio Leone- Once Upon a Time in the West

This is basically just a good old-fashioned Western. It only went up on the nominations page a few days ago so if there’s no space for it I’ll bring it up again next term.

[quote=“fruibn”]This is a very last minute request but can I suggest an old classic film for the sake of variety?

This is basically just a good old-fashioned Western. It only went up on the nominations page a few days ago so if there’s no space for it I’ll bring it up again next term.[/quote]

Ooh, and there’s a new reprint too: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064116/releaseinfo

I’m afraid we were trying to stay clear of many classics for this term - due to the truncation, but i’d definitely help to push for that next term, once i’m back in the pool of campaigners :!:

[quote=“Roberto”]

[quote=“fruibn”]This is a very last minute request but can I suggest an old classic film for the sake of variety?

This is basically just a good old-fashioned Western. It only went up on the nominations page a few days ago so if there’s no space for it I’ll bring it up again next term.[/quote]

Ooh, and there’s a new reprint too: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064116/releaseinfo

I’m afraid we were trying to stay clear of many classics for this term - due to the truncation, but i’d definitely help to push for that next term, once i’m back in the pool of campaigners :!:[/quote]

In that case I’ll definitely be back voting for that one in term 3! Thanks.

Shame Across the Universe didn’t make the cut so far – it would look incredible on a big screen and it serves up more thoughtful content than, say, Zombieland (esp. when considering we’re going to play that during the Spring Term All Nighter). It’s also an example of a great musical that has been largely undervalued.

Love the list otherwise, with the exception of The Box – it’s just not on par with good recent sci-fi like Moon. I’d suggest replacing it with Across the Universe (which on a side note received more votes than A Prophet did).

Across the Universe was shown in the Spring Term of 2008.

And didn’t do too well, though everyone I showed it to agreed it was awesome and wanted to watch it again. Still, it’s not what appeals to everyone.
On the other hand, The Box can be billed as by the maker of Donnie Darko, and that will draw students en masse!

Yeah but The Box isn’t very good, and neither was Southland Tales – both by Richard Kelly. If we’re looking for something that will draw quality and quantity I think we should consider something else - a classic like Reservoir Dogs (which got a considerable amount of votes) or as suggested above, Once Upon a Time in the West.

The problem with playing Resevoir Dogs is that it’ll be this years third Tarantino, which seems to me like sacrificing variety for garunteed crowd pullers. (Not that I dislike Resevoir Dogs)

Besides, we’ve got a fair few new films that deserve a screening before we get to the classics.