The Night Owl thread

I’m still here, but this England batting performance may drive me to bed.

Saw Frozen the other day, was actually pretty impressed by it. Worth a watch if you get time (the 3D was well-used in many places, but not a massive loss if you don’t want to see it like that).

And then I noticed it’s not on next term’s schedule. Which is a massive shame in my opinion.

And got to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug yesterday. For the first time. I need to see it again, the 3D made the damn thing so dark I couldn’t see half the film properly. Better paced than the first (didn’t feel all of 150 mins) but when that’s one of its major “good” points… By no means a mess, and not “bad” per say, but lacking in some ways (for a film about a Hobbit Bilbo gets comparatively less screen time than the dwarves this time around, and they couldn’t have found a slightly less “cliffhanger-y” ending?). The Smaug sequence almost makes it worth the entrance price, provided the first 120 mins or so didn’t put you totally off.

The Hobbit is going to be one of those trilogies that needs watching back to back to get the most out of it, which is a. assuming There and Back Again is actually any good and worth the preceeding 300 minutes of your life, and b. a shame, since they made each LotR perfectly watchable on its own without the others, but they had the benefit of being one film per book, I guess.

Frozen was a more enjoyable film. There, I said it.

Thank you for the contributions, Tom, but night owl hours are between 2am and 6am.

So Cook’s hundredth test includes a diamond duck. Don’t think test cricket has often seen such a talented set of players so collectively out of form :frowning:

Merry Christmas!

I’m not usually up past two am now I’m a working owl, but seeing as I am, I thought I’d also make an unusual visit to this thread.

Happy New Year filmsoccers!

Happy New Year!

Now that there are some new forum users, it’s time to start posting on here again.

Tonight, my time on exec comes to an end.

And the mystery film is…

Batman & Robin?

Too early to be heading off to work :frowning:

At least there’s this forum to vent your feelings.

A well-deserved Best Picture win for 12 Years a Slave.

Happy thirtieth, George!

I nearly went to be bed without noting that this thread is five years old today!

The Mac had four posts in succession.

Good thing I managed to nip that in the bud - lest his monologue go on - you don’t want to get caught monologuing!

I can live with a dialogue.

Welcome to British Summer Time!